The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I'm a little worried about Jubilee (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/im-little-worried-about-jubilee-18124/)

Jubilee Rose 11-22-2008 06:44 PM

I'm a little worried about Jubilee

Guys, I need some advice. Ok, here's the scoop (cookies for everyone who reads this):

I went to the barn today to find Jubilee happily eating hay with her friends out in the field. I was really happy to see her because I hadn't been out to the barn in a week. Anyway, I happened to look down and notice that her back legs were incredibly swollen! Both equally swollen, all down the leg from below the hock to her ankles. Well you can imagine my shock. Trying to breathe and not freak out, I clipped her lead to her halter and started leading her back to the barn, because I knew that my barn manager was there, and I could get her advice about what to do.

Jubilee has had mud fever before and I thought maybe it was that again, but I felt around her legs and there was no scabs or anything telling me mud fever. Her legs were a little warm as well (especially around the ankle). Anyway, I hurriedly brought her to the barn (trying to be patient as she trudges through the snow) meanwhile trying not cry and trying to reason with myself that everything will be ok. So I bring her to my barn manager who looks at her and tells me she's just stocked up, from standing too long in one place. She told me to walk her out and the swelling will eventually go down, and that she'll be fine.

This relieved me a little, so I took Jube out on the road and started walking her up and down. Then I brought in her the big snowy field and walked her in there for a while. I thought that making her trudge through the deep snow would get her legs moving and get the blood flowing. Then I hand trotted her a bit up and down the road (did the walk/trot thing for a good half hour).

Then I brought her back to the barn to saddle her up. I looked at her legs and already the swelling was starting to go down. I still wanted to work her a bit more. So I brought her in the arena and rode her, just walk and trot. Just nice and easy. She was great. She's not lame at all and didn't seem sore. She had her ears perked, happy, kicking up the snow as we rode along. It was great. When I got off, her legs looked even better. I brought her in the barn and messaged her legs with my hands too, hoping that would also help bring back circulation.

Do you think I did the right thing about this?? I'm going back to the barn as soon as I can to ride her out and stuff. I just feel so bad because it's really hard for me to get out to the barn alot and if she was exercised more, this probably wouldn't have happened.

Anyway ... another thing that I'm kinda worried about too, was that she didn't finish all of her grain today. Usually she eats the entire bucket and licks it clean. She left just about a quarter of it, not much. She was really tired and yawning alot, so do you think its because she was just sleepy? When I put her out with the horses, she didn't want to eat any hay. She looked really tired. What do you guys think? Was she just in a lazy/tired mood? Is she depressed? Is it the weather?

*Note: Apart from this she is great. She has a nice fluffy, healthy coat, bright eyes, ears always forward. My BO did tell me she laid down in her stall this morning. But she seemed fine and she ate all her grain in the morning.

Thoughts? Please help. I'm a bit worried. Like, I think she'll be ok. But I just wanted opinions.

Thanks to everyone who read this.

amandaandeggo 11-22-2008 06:55 PM

it sounds like she just got a little stocked up . . . which is when some fluid just remains in the legs . . . with a little exersize it usualy goes away . . . it happen mostly in horses that are stalled for long periods of time or arent walking around enough in their stalls . . . but she was in the feild so i dont know why she would have . . . it may be just because she didnt get worked as much as shes used to . . . the fact that once she was walking around for awhile and they went down realy makes me think that she was just a little stocked up . . . its not a big deal my ottb for like a week every morning was stocked up . . . but once he started moving it they were just fine . . . and it hasnt happened again since then =) *demands her cookie*

appylover31803 11-22-2008 07:01 PM

I believe that her stocking up is normal. If she's constantly by the hay and not moving around, it can cause it.
I know Vega would get stocked up from just sitting in her paddock at the old barn.

I would see how she is doing tomorrow. Maybe take her temperature as well. She may be coming down with something (not sure!) and that is why she didn't eat all her grain or wanted any hay.
Again with Vega, there was a time when she didn't eat her food and then the next day didn't even touch it, so I knew something was wrong, but the place declined to get a vet out (after she wouldnt eat her food, she had some nasal discharge out of her nose)
It could just be that she was having an off day, but I would see how she's doing tomorrow.

Jubilee Rose 11-22-2008 07:05 PM

Thanks for your advice guys.

Amanda - She isn't stalled, but she stands at a feeder for long periods of time.

appylover - I really hope she's not coming down with something!! :-( I can't make it out to the barn tomorrow, but I'm going to call my BO tomorrow. She said she'd keep an eye on her.

SonnyWimps 11-22-2008 07:07 PM

stocked up. Sonny gets that as well and had it Friday....yeah doesn't it scare the crap out of you? At least it does for me?
I normally just give one tablet (not a full dose) of bute and it's gone in the morning. But it depends on the horse.

My vet said that sometimes second cuttings of hay can make a horse stocked up (something about it making some horses retain water and some horses retain it in their joints).

I wouldnt be too worried, Jubilee...give it a couple of days and if it's not gone I'd call a vet and see what they suggest...but I doubt it's anything serious

Jubilee Rose 11-22-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps (Post 195433)
stocked up. Sonny gets that as well and had it Friday....yeah doesn't it scare the crap out of you? At least it does for me?
I normally just give one tablet (not a full dose) of bute and it's gone in the morning. But it depends on the horse.

My vet said that sometimes second cuttings of hay can make a horse stocked up (something about it making some horses retain water and some horses retain it in their joints).

I wouldnt be too worried, Jubilee...give it a couple of days and if it's not gone I'd call a vet and see what they suggest...but I doubt it's anything serious

Thanks Sonny. Yeah I think she'll be ok.

smrobs 11-23-2008 08:35 AM

I agree with everyone else, I don't think that it is anything to get too worked up over. Lots of horses, in winter especially, will stand in one place for long periods of time even if they have room to move. As for her not finishing her grain, maybe she just wasn't very hungry that day. Don't you have days when you are just not hungry? She also could have been a little lonely or depressed. I think horses are a lot more like people than most folks want to admit. Horses have off days too. Don't worry, I'm sure she will be fine.

Vidaloco 11-23-2008 10:38 AM

I'm not sure if this is an option for you. In the winter when our girls spend most of the day in the dry lot standing at the round bale. I send them out into the pasture for about 2-3 hours ever day. There is really nothing for them to eat out there, but they walk around attempting to graze and will romp and play some. I've just stared doing this way to help combat hay belly's and it seems to working well. They look forward to the time they spend roaming the big pasture and I bring them back in at evening feeding time, so its easy to get them to come back into the lot. I let them out around 2 in the afternoon and grain them around 4-5pm back in the dry lot where they stay till the next day eating hay.

JustDressageIt 11-23-2008 11:04 AM

Good thought Vida!!

If you don't have a separate paddock, perhaps ask your BO if she could bring Jubilee in every other day or every day if possible and let her run around an arena for half an hour?

In my opinion, it sounds like she was stocked up - Denny gets like that as well, and it's no biggie.

If you can avoid the bute (if she's not sore and seems otherwise fine except for fat ankles) then avoid bute - too much and too often can cause gastric ulcers and other problems.

Regarding the grain, remember that horses get colds too, and she might just be off her grain a little becuase she's not feeling well. If this starts to happen more frequently, keep an eye out for other symptoms, like nasal discharge, goopy eyes (technical, eh?)... just looking "sick" then you can start worrying :)

Keep us updated!!

Jubilee Rose 11-23-2008 12:50 PM

smrobs - Thank you very much. That was encouraging. I am really trying not to worry.

Vida - Jubilee is actually in a very large paddock with lots of room to roam already. There are two hay bales in her paddock. But I've noticed that she's always at the feeder with the other horses. She likes being with them and spend a lot of time there. I think thats why she's stocked up. But yes, she already does have room to roam around. Also, I can't really change the routine of the horses. They're brought in twice for feeding times and are outside 24/7.

JDI - Yeah I don't want to go the bute route if I don't have to. I've never used it and I don't even know where to get it. No one at my barn uses it. But yeah, hopefully she'll be okay. She doesn't have any of those other symtoms yet.

I just feel I'm being a bad mommy. It's really hard for me to get out to the barn. And I think she's feeling lonely. :-( She was very happy to see me Saturday and was very affectionate, like she missed me. I've talked it over with my parents now though (who don't understand horses) and I'm going to be able to go more often now, which I hope will make things better.

Thanks for reading and replying guys, and I will definitely be posting an update soon!