The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   bit of a difficult horse... please help... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/bit-difficult-horse-please-help-181313/)

dommycob 04-24-2013 04:16 PM

bit of a difficult horse... please help...

I've been sharing this horse since november and I felt we...clicked... But she's while she's a perfect horse she's very hard to get going and sometimes very hard to stop. I need some tips on getting her going, and she's not in pain ect. Its either my bad riding or her being disobedient/lazy. The whip... Even if its literally just a touch behind my leg or a tap on the saddle so she can't feel it, just hear it, it just makes her back up and anything but a squeeze(a little squeeze can get her to trot, a massive kick she won't respond to) has no affect at all. Its canter I struggle to get her into and most of all, keep her going! I think I've got stopping okay-ed but any advice on getting her going or just english riding in genral will be really appreciated as I haven't and I'm not planning on having a lesson since I've had her.

Thankss!
Posted via Mobile Device

trackstar 04-24-2013 05:12 PM

It sounds like she is being disobedient or doesn't understand what you are asking of her. You need to gain her respect. I train thoroughbreds and rescues and try to use the simplest of methods to start off with.
How is she with groundwork? If you are having trouble there, that would be a could place to start.

If you are having trouble with one gait under saddle, do not move on to the next until she is truly listening to you. So I suggest going back to the walk. This will give you a chance to really figure out what is causing her to be difficult. And remember to pay close attention to body language, that will tell you a lot

For this kind of issue I like to use parelli. I've posted a link to an article on their website. It talks about the different phases you should go through when trying to get your horse to go. It is very simple, but takes some patience on your part

Correcting Horse Balking Behavior | Parelli | Parelli

Honeysuga 04-24-2013 05:22 PM

She sounds lazy and disrespectful to me. The backing up and such sounds like a tactic she has learned to avoid work. My advice is to go to ground working her for a while. Work on concreting your cues and make sure she listens to you flawlessly on the ground. Ask her to go through all gaits on the longe line. If she balks, backs, or wont keep pace use your carrot stick or longe whip to urge her forward.

A horse that backs without cue is dangerous especially if there is no control while she is backing. After you work her on the ground, have another rider or trainer with you when you ride her. Again do it on a longe line in a safe area so someone is there to keep control. Cue her through her gaits. If she disobeys have them urge her forward from the ground while you consistently apply your cue. Teach her she cant get of work by refusing or throwing a fit.

dommycob 04-25-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackstar (Post 2334569)
It sounds like she is being disobedient or doesn't understand what you are asking of her. You need to gain her respect. I train thoroughbreds and rescues and try to use the simplest of methods to start off with.
How is she with groundwork? If you are having trouble there, that would be a could place to start.

If you are having trouble with one gait under saddle, do not move on to the next until she is truly listening to you. So I suggest going back to the walk. This will give you a chance to really figure out what is causing her to be difficult. And remember to pay close attention to body language, that will tell you a lot

For this kind of issue I like to use parelli. I've posted a link to an article on their website. It talks about the different phases you should go through when trying to get your horse to go. It is very simple, but takes some patience on your part

Correcting Horse Balking Behavior | Parelli | Parelli

This really helps, especially the link, I'll go back to groundwork and then walking and build up as you suggested and keep you updated on how it goes!
Posted via Mobile Device

dommycob 04-25-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeysuga (Post 2334641)
She sounds lazy and disrespectful to me. The backing up and such sounds like a tactic she has learned to avoid work. My advice is to go to ground working her for a while. Work on concreting your cues and make sure she listens to you flawlessly on the ground. Ask her to go through all gaits on the longe line. If she balks, backs, or wont keep pace use your carrot stick or longe whip to urge her forward.

A horse that backs without cue is dangerous especially if there is no control while she is backing. After you work her on the ground, have another rider or trainer with you when you ride her. Again do it on a longe line in a safe area so someone is there to keep control. Cue her through her gaits. If she disobeys have them urge her forward from the ground while you consistently apply your cue. Teach her she cant get of work by refusing or throwing a fit.

I've never lunged before so I'm not sure how to do that but I'll deffenitly make sure she's listening on the ground.

As for backing up being dangerous, while I under stand its dangerous if there was another horse or person or... A cliff behind me, she only takes a few steps back.
Posted via Mobile Device