The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   tails...to brush or not to brush (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tails-brush-not-brush-18132/)

horseyhmg 11-22-2008 08:59 PM

tails...to brush or not to brush

totally random question...
when/ how often do people brush their horse's tail
such as:
every day
just before a show
never
just curious

appylover31803 11-22-2008 09:01 PM

I brush my horse's tails sometimes.
My one gelding's tail is wrapped in Vetwrap. It'll get brushed in a month.
My other gelding and mare will get their tails brushed when I feel like just grooming them (of if they have stuff in their tail)
I always use conditioner.

minihorse927 11-22-2008 11:18 PM

I brush tails only when they are going to show, get nasty dirty, or in the winter time, once a week. I try to not brush everyday as the tail grows thicker and longer if left unbrushed. If it gets really long I will braid it and bag it up or vet rap it.

Kirsti Arndt 11-22-2008 11:19 PM

i groom top to bottom each time i ride,sonny has a huge thick mane and tail-burrs are just nasty this year-those of you in Illinois know what i mean. I groomed yesterday and today so full of the burrs it took two of us and baby oil to get them out-He is outside during the day.
Hello appy!

free_sprtd 11-22-2008 11:27 PM

this is a good question actually, because today I was just wondering the same thing. I wish I could brush my geldings tail often, but it gets so tangled so often, that I can only brush it after I wash it and deep condition it. I don't know how to fix this :( over the summer, it was nice and I kept it decent, but in the winter, it's so nasty! im going to go out there tomorrow and wash it because he has dingleberrys. Ive never wrapped or bagged..... is it ok to do in the winter? any ideas? his tail is down to the ground, i have to trim it occasionally. I wash with mane and tail shampoo and condition with cowboy magic. tomorrow im taking out my aussie shampoo lol to see if that helps.

appylover31803 11-22-2008 11:42 PM

I love my Aussie Shampoo! Never used it on the horses though.

I am going to vet wrap (i didn't have luck with tail bags) Gem's and Vega's tail.. mostly likely tomorrow. Montana's tail is already up.
I'm going to only do it in the winter because it can be quite gross out and I wont have to worry about it getting all muddy.
I learnt this from AKPaintlover.
What I do is I put MTG (or any other conditioner) I just put it at the dock of the tail. Then I seperate into 3 sections (I get any tangles out with my fingers). Then I put the tail into a loose braid and secure it with a band at the bottom. Then I loop it through the tail (like where I started the braid) 1-2 times, depending on the tail length. Then I take the vet wrap, and starting where I started the braid, I loop some vet wrap in there (kind of hard to explain) and then I wrap the entire tail, working my way down, and then back up. I stop before it reaches the dock.
I'll take a video of it tomorrow, cause i'm unsure my directions make any sense! lol

minihorse927 11-22-2008 11:49 PM

lol, this tail definitely needs to start being wrapped up, I never noticed how long it had gotten after I put MTG on it for a month staight. I never brushed it neither.http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/100_0316.jpg

minihorse927 11-22-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free_sprtd (Post 195636)
this is a good question actually, because today I was just wondering the same thing. I wish I could brush my geldings tail often, but it gets so tangled so often, that I can only brush it after I wash it and deep condition it. I don't know how to fix this :( over the summer, it was nice and I kept it decent, but in the winter, it's so nasty! im going to go out there tomorrow and wash it because he has dingleberrys. Ive never wrapped or bagged..... is it ok to do in the winter? any ideas? his tail is down to the ground, i have to trim it occasionally. I wash with mane and tail shampoo and condition with cowboy magic. tomorrow im taking out my aussie shampoo lol to see if that helps.

I like MTG as a detangler and helping it to grow, braiding it, and tail bags or vet wrapping it. I am actually gonna wrap one of mine tonight (see above tail) and I will try to take pics as I go and post them here in a series.

prbygenny 11-23-2008 12:10 AM

I brush mine everyday that I am out at the barn (4-5 times a week). His tail also hits the ground so I trim every so often. But when I say brush I mostly brush at the top and the bottom, in the middle I do a really lite detangle brushing. We get tons of burs this time of year also so I use my fingers to get them out. I love my boys tail it is so thick and long everyone is always so jealous about it.

PoptartShop 11-23-2008 01:03 AM

I usually brush every time I groom. :D If it doesn't need to be fully brushed I leave it (if there aren't any knots).