The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Spring Shots?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/spring-shots-181473/)

Lexiie 04-24-2013 08:56 PM

Spring Shots??

Hi all!! My barn is having the vet come out for all of us to get shots done at once.

I will be getting the three way shot: Eastern something, something else, and Tetanus all in one
Rabies
There were a few others I can't recall as well

I have a question about the West Nile vaccine. Last year I didn't get it because there were some nasty reactions from it I heard.
Does anyone know anything about that? We found a dead bird and it tested positive for West Nile, and it looks like it's going to be REALLY buggy this year. I really don't know what to do for that one.
Advice would be appreciated. I'll be asking the vet as well, but they would really like to know beforehand.
Thank you!!

Sharpie 04-24-2013 09:15 PM

My horse gets vaccinated for everything.

EEE (Eastern Equine Encephalitis), WEE (Western Equine Encephalitis), Rhinopneumanitis, Influenza and Tetanus (AKA 5-way)

Plus West Nile, Rabies and Strangles

I am not so thrilled about the last one, but we get strangles cases every year in my small city, so it's a real threat. West Nile vaccine is one of the safer ones- though horses CAN react, it's very unlikely (I wonder if they were using clean needles like they ought to in the cases you heard of). And West Nile is a deadly disease for horses. I am not willing to risk my guy catching it with the heavy mosquitoes and known cases in birds in my area.

Lexiie 04-24-2013 09:19 PM

Ahh! Yeah, the first ones you listed, I forgot all of them. Those most definitely.
I guess I'll be getting the West Nile as well, thank you so much!!

I was thinking about Strangles, since we'll be going to horse parks and shows almost every month this summer.
Do you think it's a good idea? I don't think any of the BO's horses or boarders ever get strangles vaccines

Sharpie 04-24-2013 09:50 PM

If you're going to be traveling and showing, I would get strangles too. Nothing like a barn shutdown and quarantine after bringing it back home to make everyone love you, you know? Even aside from your horse being potentially very ill... That is JMO though. Definitely talk to your vet and let them know you'll be showing.

Lexiie 04-24-2013 10:39 PM

Yeah, I was just talking to the neighboring barn's owner and she said she only does the basics for showing, and she goes to really big ones.
I'm a serious worry-wart when it comes to my horse

Joe4d 04-25-2013 09:54 AM

This is something you should talk to your vet about. I mean your paying for them to come and part of that payment is paying for their expertise. And they are the experts in this area. I mean do a bit of reading so you are educated. My horses have all gotten different shots at different times. I talk to them, tell them what I plan to do with the horse and wear, they recommend a series based on that info. Usually with a risk/benefit discussion.

PaintHorseMares 04-25-2013 12:08 PM

Check out this site to see if WNV is a problem in your area
https://www.outbreak-alert.com/
Posted via Mobile Device