The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Something is wrong with my horse's hind end (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/something-wrong-my-horses-hind-end-181505/)

Sage1 04-24-2013 08:47 PM

Something is wrong with my horse's hind end

Over the past month my horse has been walking, trotting, cantering, and standing crooked. No matter which direction we are going his hind end is always angled to the right. When he walks his right hind leg sort of slides and turns inwards. He's had schooling lessons and from them my trainer has determined that he is stiff on his right hind. My trainer decided to put him on Adaquan, which he's now been on for almost 2 weeks, and I haven't really noticed much of a difference. Another boarder also pointed out to me that he constantly holds his tail to the right. The way he moves is definitely obvious because several people have noticed or asked me what was wrong with him. I know what his gait feels like and it's definitely off. He also dropped weight a couple weeks ago, so we upped his feed. He's gaining weight in his barrel but his hips are still poking out.

My trainer wants me to continue exercising and lessoning with him as normal. He says he sees this all the time in horses around his age and that it is his bones fusing.

He just turned 14 years old and is a Thoroughbred gelding. His discipline his hunter/jumper but he is an OTTB.
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but my horse had a puncture wound above the knee joint on his left front in February. Then at the beginning of March he had an abscess on one of his hind heels.

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Does bone fusing sound about right? My trainer was a pro and is kind of a no nonsense type of person.

natisha 04-24-2013 08:52 PM

Unless your trainer is a vet with X-ray vision he is only guessing. While he may be right in some aspects, the weight loss added to the other things you are seeing warrants a vet workup.

When hocks are getting arthritis in the joints that fuse the first thing usually felt by the rider is a 'hitch' in the hip.
It sounds like there is more going on with your horse than that.

CLaPorte432 04-24-2013 08:57 PM

889 Attachment(s)
Contact a Chiropractor.

Also, Adequan takes awhile to take effect. You will not see immediate results. It takes the 7 loading doses every 4 days, and then at LEAST twice monthy to keep up on to have a good effect. It's EXPENSIVE!

Sharpie 04-24-2013 09:09 PM

Serious, persistent abnormalities warrant a vet visit.

Sure, maybe it's a bad hock. But it could also be West Nile, a mild Herpesvirus infection, EPM or a host of other things that may or may not be fixable or progressive. Especially with weight loss for no good reason (even gaining it back), I would have a medical professional making sure it wasn't something worse than some arthritis. Even if it is 'just' arthritis, it it's bad enough he's traveling consistently off, he may need something more than Adequan to get the pain and inflammation down. If it's not something serious medical, chiro would be my second call, once he vets clear.

DancingArabian 04-24-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage1 (Post 2337017)
Over the past month my horse has been walking, trotting, cantering, and standing crooked. No matter which direction we are going his hind end is always angled to the right. When he walks his right hind leg sort of slides and turns inwards. He's had schooling lessons and from them my trainer has determined that he is stiff on his right hind. My trainer decided to put him on Adaquan, which he's now been on for almost 2 weeks, and I haven't really noticed much of a difference. Another boarder also pointed out to me that he constantly holds his tail to the right. The way he moves is definitely obvious because several people have noticed or asked me what was wrong with him. I know what his gait feels like and it's definitely off. He also dropped weight a couple weeks ago, so we upped his feed. He's gaining weight in his barrel but his hips are still poking out.

My trainer wants me to continue exercising and lessoning with him as normal. He says he sees this all the time in horses around his age and that it is his bones fusing.

He just turned 14 years old and is a Thoroughbred gelding. His discipline his hunter/jumper but he is an OTTB.
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but my horse had a puncture wound above the knee joint on his left front in February. Then at the beginning of March he had an abscess on one of his hind heels.

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Does bone fusing sound about right? My trainer was a pro and is kind of a no nonsense type of person.

Call the vet. Shame on your trainer for not suggesting that and just throwing random drugs at the horse. It could be neurological and all the Adequan in the world won't help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 04-24-2013 10:31 PM

I want to say chiropractor?
But I don't know if something in his back or joints, that's only physical, would cause weight loss.
I definitely agree with calling a vet out.
Good luck!