The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   scrambling (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/scrambling-18155/)

booner 11-23-2008 10:46 AM

scrambling

I put this in horse talk,no response, thought I'd try here, thanks.

scrambling?
Dont know if thats the proper word(was told it was)but my horse usually rides on the left side of a straight load trailer.Last weekend we trailered the horses up in the hills and hubby for whatever reason put my horse on the right.Every corner coming home(downhill)it sounded like he was slipping and 'scrambling' to stay on his feet.We checked him and he was still upright but the noise was frightening.When we unloaded I could see where he marked up the wall w/ his feet.Needless to say he will never be on the right side. My question is why did he do this, do horses just do better on one side rather than the other.I have an anxious time anytime they are trailered anyways so this did me no good lol.

Horse Poor 11-23-2008 05:39 PM

When trailering one horse in a two horse trailer, the left side is used to balance the contours of the road. Helps keep the weight balanced especially when going around turns - what you experienced is him attempting to compensate for that in the trailer.

iridehorses 11-23-2008 07:22 PM

I've always done it that way also. The reasoning, as I understood it, dealt with the crown of the road affecting the balance in the trailer. Just a little different wording then Horse Poor but that is the idea.

RedHawk 11-23-2008 09:04 PM

Also, does your trailer have a centre divider that extends all the way down to the floor? If so this could be part of the problem, he wouldn't have as much space to spread his feet and balance himself, and will therefore "scramble" up the walls.

wild_spot 11-23-2008 09:43 PM

I recently had a horse who had to travel in the right hand side. If on the left, he would lose his back legs on every corner. Some horses are just like that, his previous owners had just accepted him as a bad floater, but by putting him on the side he was comfortable, he stopped scrambling and was happier to load as he wans't afraind of falling over.

NorthernMama 11-23-2008 10:52 PM

Hmm... interesting. I always put my girl in the right side, but just because... not for any particular reason. So I guess if I finally put the two of them in there, I should put the heavier one on the right?

Horse Poor 11-23-2008 11:00 PM

"Heft to the left. Light to the right." If you have two horses, the heavier one goes on the left.

wild_spot 11-23-2008 11:45 PM

That depends on your country... We drive on the other side of the road here, so it's heavier horse on the right!

Basically you should always load the heavier horse on the side closest to the centre of the road. Counterbalances, cause roads slope away from the centre so that water doesn't pool on them. I think it's called the cambre...

NorthernMama 11-23-2008 11:53 PM

OK horse poor and wild spot -- you guys just said the complete opposite! I'm thinking everything in this thread so far goes for loading the heavier horse toward the centre of the road (here would be the right). Anyone else have an opinion?

jazzyrider 11-23-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 196221)
I recently had a horse who had to travel in the right hand side. If on the left, he would lose his back legs on every corner. Some horses are just like that, his previous owners had just accepted him as a bad floater, but by putting him on the side he was comfortable, he stopped scrambling and was happier to load as he wans't afraind of falling over.

thats cause we are aussie and drive on the right side of the car therefore if you are pulling only one horse you would put it on the right. the same as if you were floating 2 horses you would put the bigger one on the right.

its reversed when the driver is on the left hand side of the car.

thats how it was explained to me anyways :)