The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hi everyone! (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hi-everyone-18158/)

Siggav 11-23-2008 11:41 AM

Hi everyone!

Hi hi,

Right, I'm Icelandic and back home, Icelandic horses are the only horse breed there is (which isn't a great loss from my point of view because I *love* them)

I've been into horses ever since I could remember but didn't get a horse of my own until I was around 17. I had him until a year before I knew I'd be moving to Scotland which is where I live now.

Selling him was really hard but since I was going to be in a different country it wasn't feasible to keep him.

Anyway here in Scotland there was a farm that did pony trekking with Icelandics so I went riding there a few times but now they've stopped doing that and only focus on breeding.

After a few years I got hit by the horse bug bad again and decided to take the plunge and try riding non-Icelandic horses.

I found a good place that does lessons and started going. I've had around 5 lessons so far and it's been great fun. I'm doing English style riding now and it's all been rather new for me but overall things are more similar than different. Horses are horses after all.

Still you never really post and do rising trot riding Icelandic style so that was something very new for me. Same with really working on trot and canter etc. since with a gaited horse you tend to do the standard (trot and canter) gaits only when the ground is bad or if the horse needs it to build up the right muscles or improve the 4 beat lateral gaits. I.e you'd work a pacy horse on the trot to try to even him out a bit etc.

Still I'm really enjoying myself and it's great fun to really think through what you're doing and going back to the basics.

I've ridden 3 horses so far. They've all been fairly lazy but fun to work with. The Icelandic horses I was used to riding were very hot (as in the main problem is working on having reliable breaks and they shoot off at the slightest pressure etc.)

I'm really really badly wanting a horse of my own again now but there's no way I have the time or money right now so that'll have to wait. I'll have my weekly riding lesson until then.

PoptartShop 11-23-2008 11:58 AM

Welcome to the Horse Forum! :D Great introduction! Have fun posting. :)

Kentucky 11-23-2008 05:15 PM

welcome and enjoy the ride, ma'am

buckaroo2010 11-24-2008 06:04 PM

Welcome:-)

kickshaw 11-25-2008 06:30 PM

welcome! I wish we had more icelandics around here...they are so awesome!

bedouin 11-26-2008 01:43 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Jehanzeb 11-26-2008 04:19 AM

Wow great long introduction :-).

A very warm welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your stay here :-)

Regards