The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Barrel racing & boots. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/barrel-racing-boots-18172/)

Neka 11-23-2008 06:28 PM

Barrel racing & boots.

What does everyone recommend for barrel racing & all out performances (ie pole bending, and other general gymkhana)? I was always told it's safer & I agree.... a horse (especially mine) gets way hyped and could accidentally kick himself or pull something.

Also, should I put bell (over reach) boots on his fronts?

kickshaw 11-24-2008 04:18 PM

boots: SMB's or Legend boots (no polo wraps!)

over reach boots: yes - any variety will work :D

NicoleS11 11-24-2008 04:24 PM

i would say yes....smart move...better safe than sorry.

Colorado Dobes 11-24-2008 06:00 PM

Professional's Choice SMBs and no turn bell boots

WesternPleasure27 11-25-2008 12:32 PM

I use SMBs on my horse- front splints and rear skid boots.
I don't use bell boots unless she has shoes on or if the horse is a known overreacher.

jamesjobrien 11-29-2008 12:37 PM

in timed events, leg collision can usually be more traumatic than in events like trail and western pleasure.

i use these sesamoid splint boots on this splint boots page and i know some barrel racers who use the combo boots that are available there. they are pretty cool hind splint and skid boot combinations.

the prot-tec bell boots from equibrand are really good overreach boots. if you're barrel racing, you should defenitely get some.

poloxchick23 11-30-2008 03:30 PM

I use SMBs on all four legs when I barrel race. It protects them from blows and supports the horse. I also would recomend using bell boots on the front. Even if your horse isn't known for over reaching you never know what can happen so it's safer in my opinion to have them.