The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What is this? (

Cruiser 04-25-2013 11:12 AM

What is this?
I can't get picture to upload, but it looks like a breastplate/collar same size, but it buckles to itself at the top instead of having two straps to attach to the dees of a saddle. It does have the loop to attach to a girth though. Is is just a decorative thing or part of something else?

It is really decorative, with little diamond shape rivets all over it in pattern and it's black, older too. I'll see if I can find a picture that will work. Any guesses? I have two, one has to be thrown out because the leather is rotted but it has brass domed rivets in the pattern of flowers on the two "arms" with a heart hanging from the center ring with a strap that looks to attach to a girth under than.

Any guesses are good. Thanks

cowgirl4753 04-25-2013 11:18 AM

Pics would definitely help, maybe a wither strap? Keep the breastcollar up, I'm just guessing, hope you can get some pics up
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 04-25-2013 11:25 AM

Sounds like a standing martingale. They have a large circle that goes around the neck and does not attach to the saddle. Then there is a strap that connects the noseband to the girth. Google is, I'm sure a million photos will come up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cruiser 04-25-2013 11:25 AM

It won't let me upload anything on this site, every else is working fine for me.

Cruiser 04-25-2013 11:28 AM

Not a standing martingale, know what those are, it looks to go up the sides of the neck and chest like a breastplate and attach between the legs to the girth, but nothing to attach to the dees just a strap over the withers (if that's what it is). It just doesn't seem practical to keep a saddle in place. This is for sure western style, thick, and made to be seen and admired.

cowgirl4753 04-25-2013 11:40 AM

Does it look like this then?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 04-25-2013 11:41 AM

Could it be a Pulling Collar? They attach thru the opening in the swelll. Keeps the straps off the shoulder where a regular breast collar sits.
Only a guess without seeing what you are looking at.

Sereno 04-25-2013 11:41 AM

You could Google and look for horse breastplate images. These go over the neck and should have a ring on each side for the saddle strap on each side. Some have two on each side.

Could it be that you are missing the straps that go the the saddle Dee?

Cruiser 04-25-2013 11:45 AM

It looks something like the one cowgirl posted but it doesn't have all the rings, and two buckles at the top with a ten inch piece inbetween them. Plus this one has really wide side piece. I wish I could post a picture.

I found a picture that looks the same style, it belongs to a parade saddle, the picture on ebay. Mine doesn't have all the silver just rivets all over it like that one tho.

How do you use this than?

cowgirl4753 04-25-2013 11:49 AM

Can you post the web link to the one you found on eBay that looks similar
Posted via Mobile Device

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome