The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I want to buy a kill horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-want-buy-kill-horse-18185/)

whitetrashwarmblood 11-23-2008 08:50 PM

I want to buy a kill horse

Every freaking time I go to the auction I see them, and everytime I go I say to myself one day I'll save one. Right now the economy is terrible, and I could probably buy one for less than $50. I sold Playboy, so I have some extra cash. If anything I could fix the horse up, possibly break it or train it better and resell it to someone as a 4-h horse or something then buy another one. Idk, I just can't sit here and do nothing. :-(

KatieStanley 11-23-2008 09:02 PM

I think thats a wonderful idea. :-)

whitetrashwarmblood 11-23-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieStanley (Post 196184)
I think thats a wonderful idea. :-)

Thanks, I thought so too. lol
:-P

PG'sGal4ever 11-23-2008 09:08 PM

Ive gone to a couple auctions with my trainer and theres a kill buyer who goes outside and buys them before they take them inside, It really makes me Angry. If I didnt have 3 horses already I would go out and buy some and save them, sadly they are going for around $50-$200 here also =(

claireauriga 11-24-2008 11:26 AM

There are a lot of people here who will give you advice on how to rescue a horse and what type to pick. The most important question, however, probably has to be, "Can you afford to care for the horse indefinitely?" You don't know when you'll be able to sell/give it on, so can you afford to look after it for more than just a few months?

FGRanch 11-24-2008 11:56 AM

I'm not sure if there would be much point in reselling it, there is not alot of money even in the trained horses in most area's. At the local horse sales around here broke horses are going for about $300-500. Those are papered well broke horses. Foals are going for $25 and yearlings are pretty much the same.

NicoleS11 11-24-2008 12:24 PM

i am a volunteer for a horse rescue. we get phone calls from teh SPCA usually or the police and they tell us what auction horses will be going to after a seizure. Kill buyers are terible...but if the hors eyou want has been bought by one...just go ask him to buy it off of him. Most of them could care less what the horse looks like and what not....i know this is what we do alot and we have never been turned down...offer him $10 more than what he got the horse for(jeez that could only $20) and im sur eyou could end up with the horse....rescue horses take alot of work! we have around 30 right now and it gets tough...specially babys...i bought a yearling for myself off of a kill buyer about 4 months ago...he hasnt came around quiet yet...but i love him oooooo so much!!! well thank you for being another kind soul and thinking about rescuing...thats amazign!

claireauriga 11-24-2008 12:38 PM

I've heard that it's a bad idea to rescue a horse from a kill buyer unless there's something particularly special about it - otherwise the kill buyer is just making more profit off the horse ...

NicoleS11 11-24-2008 12:45 PM

why woudl it be a bad idea? You just have to have an open mind about it...and know how to deal with any thing....becuase you really dont know what you are getting...trainer or not trained. Breed can be a big question...age. All that stuff. I wouldnt recomend it to any one who is green thats for sure...

claireauriga 11-24-2008 04:01 PM

It would be a bad idea because the kill buyer actually makes a profit just for visiting the auction - they won't sell you the horse for any less than they paid for it, after all. It's a better option to get to the horse before they do, otherwise you're just paying extra for no reason. Doing deals with kill buyers helps keep them in business.