The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   swollen sheath!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/swollen-sheath-181905/)

midnight dream 04-25-2013 03:43 PM

swollen sheath!!
 
me again with yet another problem!
if you read my last posts iv now changed my 3 year old geldings diet to dengie alpha a and fast fibre, i recently cleaned his sheath and while checking over tonight noticed that his sheath is swollen i tried getting him do drop but looks like he cant so tried cleaning him and a black gunky (sorry dont really know how to describe it) came out and was quite smelly but couldnt find anything else :S it doesnt seem to be bothering him though, i havent done much with him recently as the weather hasnt been good but the most i do is a light hack or long reining also he has now been changed from haylage to a little hay (soaked) as gras is now growing through so hes not eating hay as much he gets pleanty of water as there is a stream running through his field.
can anyone suggest what it is?
anything i can do?

aforred 04-25-2013 03:45 PM

Does he drop when he urinates?

In any case, I would call the vet and ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

wausuaw 04-25-2013 03:54 PM

Once had a older gelding who thought he was a stud and mounted all the girls. My girl, had enough so she kicked him hard "you know where" poor guy was HUGE, vet had to put him in a sling (yes, a sling... ) and the said sling had to packed with ice to relieve pressure and swelling (poor guy).

No long term issues. If hes kept with other horses, he may have been kicked, in which case it would be good to get a vet to look at it. That's the only time I've a large amount f swelling... But could have been irritated if you just cleaned it. Did you use soap? What kind? Did ya make sure rinse rinse rinse? Cold, plain water may help.

midnight dream 04-25-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aforred (Post 2345385)
Does he drop when he urinates?

In any case, I would call the vet and ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

problem is he wont urinate in front of me hes really private with things like that :S think iv only ever seen him do it once and he didnt know i was there :S i thought id call the vet but its out of hours dont know what to do :( think ill see what hes like in the morning and call one then?
or do you think its more serious than that?

wausuaw 04-25-2013 04:02 PM

If he's not peeing (or if you don't know if he is) then I wouldn't wait. Imagine how ya feel when ya REALLY gotta go and can't? There's no way an Internet forum can give you sound medical advice. I'm a do-whatever-Ican before getting a vet person, but when body functions (breathing, peeing,pooping, etc) are effected there's not really room for wait and see. But there's no way to tell how serious it is, since none us us are there.

midnight dream 04-25-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wausuaw (Post 2345457)
Once had a older gelding who thought he was a stud and mounted all the girls. My girl, had enough so she kicked him hard "you know where" poor guy was HUGE, vet had to put him in a sling (yes, a sling... ) and the said sling had to packed with ice to relieve pressure and swelling (poor guy).

No long term issues. If hes kept with other horses, he may have been kicked, in which case it would be good to get a vet to look at it. That's the only time I've a large amount f swelling... But could have been irritated if you just cleaned it. Did you use soap? What kind? Did ya make sure rinse rinse rinse? Cold, plain water may help.

no hes on his own so no change of being kicked and washed it with cold water, doesnt seem tobehurting himat all.
aww sounds awful what happened to your boy

wausuaw 04-25-2013 04:29 PM

That gelding didn't seem bothered at all. (Quite honestly, he kinda sorta deserved it, that stinker).

I would at least call the vet, and see what they say. They'll have a better idea as to what to look for, etc. (my vet actually didn't charge a thing for that gelding, I think mostly due to amusement value).

G'luck, hopefully he gets better!

midnight dream 04-25-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wausuaw (Post 2346025)
That gelding didn't seem bothered at all. (Quite honestly, he kinda sorta deserved it, that stinker).

I would at least call the vet, and see what they say. They'll have a better idea as to what to look for, etc. (my vet actually didn't charge a thing for that gelding, I think mostly due to amusement value).

G'luck, hopefully he gets better!

thanks hope so will be calling vets in morning as its way too dark too see atm i dont think its anything major as if he did need to go he would give me somesort of sign plus he wasnt tender may be an infection ( i hope )

Smokum 04-25-2013 11:18 PM

ouchy poor boy :(

If you dont have any bute, give him a tablespoon of flaxseed twice a day.

Its a natural swelling reducer. atleast till the vet comes.

Reduce the swelling you can :)

waresbear 04-25-2013 11:56 PM

Most of the time when a gelding's sheath swells, it means he isn't getting enough exercise and eating too much protein. 9 out of 10 times, that is what it is.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0