The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Truck that can pull a horse trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/truck-can-pull-horse-trailer-181945/)

KatieAndZanzibar 04-25-2013 05:15 PM

Truck that can pull a horse trailer?

Don't know where to post this, so, I just thought it should go here. Me and my father are going to buy a truck at the end of the year so we can take my horse on trails, to shows, etc.

But, we don't know what kind of truck can pull a trailer! We're going to buy a 2 horse trailer because we plan on buying another horse soon. So, can anybody suggest a truck?

DancingArabian 04-25-2013 05:15 PM

Ford F250!
I'm a fan.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 04-25-2013 05:19 PM

You can pull with a full sized truck. Make sure that you have a full sized bed, too, bc if you ever pull a gooseneck, the short beds could break your back window. 'O'
Personally, I prefer a full sized diesel. My 3/4 ton, 1993 Dodge Cummins can still pull my 4-horse slant load gooseneck steel trailer. (I also have the bumper pull w/swaybars on this truck.) BUT, my 2007 Dodge Full Ton, 4 x 4 Doolie pulls it so easily that I speed up if I don't set the Cruise. Don't even feel it back there fully loaded.

DraftyAiresMum 04-25-2013 05:19 PM

Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. My boyfriend has one (a 2005) and it is amazing.

I've also hauled a two-horse slant with a 1500lbs horse in it with a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer extended and it did fine.

Look for something with a minimum 7000lbs towing capacity and a factory-installed tow package.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sereno 04-25-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 2345841)
Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. My boyfriend has one (a 2005) and it is amazing.

I've also hauled a two-horse slant with a 1500lbs horse in it with a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer extended and it did fine.

Look for something with a minimum 7000lbs towing capacity and a factory-installed tow package.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bolding mine. I fully agree! With most towing package's you get a lot of beefed up stuff that you will want/need.

tim62988 04-25-2013 05:26 PM

if you get a heavy duty 1/2 ton truck you can do just fine.

my sister has a large Hawk 2 horse w/ dressing room that she uses my parents dodge 1500 w/ a large V8 motor in it and a tow package

obviously a diesel is nicer for towing but if you're just going to the occasional show and trail ride probably not worth the extra expense of purchase and upkeep.

as far as short vs long bed, you can get away with a short bed for a bumper pull and for a lot of goosenecks, just have to either get an offset hitch or a gooseneck with a narrower front end

my current truck is an 08 chevy 2500 w/ diesel and I love it, but I tow daily

so easiest to find a truck or a few trucks and ask...sorry to throw a wrench into things, just my 2 cents

DraftyAiresMum 04-25-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereno (Post 2345937)
Bolding mine. I fully agree! With most towing package's you get a lot of beefed up stuff that you will want/need.

But only if it's a factory-installed package. If it's aftermarket, most likely all they did was slap a tow bar on it. Not good enough. A factory-installed tow package will give you beefed up brakes (and sometimes trailer brakes), a beefier alternator to handle the extra strain/load on the battery, a heftier cooling system (better coolant capacity and a bigger fan), and the tow bar will usually be bolted and welded to the frame (as opposed to just bolted).
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 04-25-2013 05:31 PM

You'll hear a lot about makes and models, but the main thing to remember with trucks and hauling is, 'bigger is better'.

You can pull with a half ton but a 3/4 ton is better, and at least a V8 5.4 liter engine. Any smaller, and you'll have to compromise on trailer size.

Make sure the truck has a towing package, because without a transmission cooler on board you're going to burn up your vehicle very quickly.

Most newer half ton and bigger trucks come equipped with a tow package, but make sure you get a 4-pin as well as a 7-pin plug. Generally, anything you haul that has lights and brakes is going to have one of those two configurations. My truck has both a 4-pin and 7-pin plug.

You'll need a heavy duty brake box as well, and those don't come standard with even the trucks that have tow packages. You can wire them yourselves, but I've always taken mine to a professional trailer place. If you buy a new truck you could invalidate your warranty by adding anything after market yourself. Best to let the professionals handle it.

Just remember, the bigger the truck the more expensive everything will be. My tires cost $175.00 each, and that's just for standard all terrain.

Your best bet is to assess your trailer needs, and then buy a truck based on that. I'd rather have too much truck than not enough, especially when hauling live cargo.

Fowl Play 04-27-2013 09:49 AM

I just got a 2002 Chevy Silverado 3/4 HD. I towed with it for the first time last night and I felt absolutely no difference with or without the trailer, even when it was loaded with 2 horses. A truck that is designed from the factory to tow is definitely a big difference from the truck that has a tow package added. My 3/4 suburban had aftermarket tow package, and it is a night and day difference.

PaintHorseMares 04-27-2013 10:53 AM

A 1/2 ton with a factory tow package will pull a 2 horse just fine. Bigger is indeed better and so is a diesel , but if you're looking at new trucks, the price can easily climb from $30k to $50k in no time at all.
Posted via Mobile Device