The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   30 minutes, once a week- can you handle that? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/30-minutes-once-week-can-you-182017/)

Finalcanter 04-25-2013 05:17 PM

30 minutes, once a week- can you handle that?

I am not complaining about my horse time because I am thankful that I actually have horse time. Okay,maybe I am a little disgruntled; but would 30 minutes a week be too little for you?

I forget how it actually feels to sit on a horse. It's a pretty long stretch for me. I don't have a tight schedule in my senior year of high school, especially not now; but I am restricted all because of the distance to the stable (there is one 15 minutes away; but I go to the one 40 minutes away), and my inability to drive. With all this free time, it irks me a little.

Hopefully this will not be much of a problem in college- I truly believe I can balance school and horses at the same time. (optimism is good, right?) I'm going to make it a goal to be at the barn in college at least 4 or 5 times a week for volunteer work or real work once I balance my schedule. This is a realistic goal, yes?...For a biology student going into preVet? :?

jinxremoving 04-25-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finalcanter (Post 2346529)
I am not complaining about my horse time because I am thankful that I actually have horse time. Okay,maybe I am a little disgruntled; but would 30 minutes a week be too little for you?

For me, riding 30 minutes a week is way too low but it also depends on the person and what their goals are. There are people at my barn who ride once a week and they are totally content with that, whereas with myself that would be an unacceptable amount where I have certain dreams that require me to ride every other day+ if I want to get where I want to go.

My advice to you would be to work towards a job after school, then get your drivers license and a car then the big restriction will be lifted. However, you will then have a new restriction which is finding time. You can certainly balance school, work and horses but it will take some good planning on your part - but it's 100% doable if you're committed. (Unless of course you're like the rich kids at my barn who have millionaire parents that fund their riding careers so you never have to work... lol.)

plomme 04-26-2013 03:11 AM

Right now it would be way too little, but I am used to riding 5 or 6 times per week. But most of my riding life before this was once a week lessons and for many years not even that, so I would have been thrilled with 30 minutes.

Whether or not it is realistic depends on your workload at university and your priorities. If riding is your #1 must have I'm sure you'll find a way. But maybe you will find things that you love and interest you so much that you sacrifice riding time - university is such a wonderful time for new experiences. You don't have to commit to anything in advance, just see what you want when it comes.

LostDragonflyWings 04-26-2013 03:37 AM

I too would find 30 minutes a week too little time in the saddle for me personally, but I also own my own horse and live 15 mintues away from where I board. I have owned my own horse(s) for years, so have had a lot of flexibility of when and how often I wanted to ride. I am used to riding 4-6 days a week, depending on my schedule and on when I want my and my horse's "off" days to be. When I ride, I typically ride for over 30 minutes....warming-up, actual work, and then cooling-down. I usually ride for around 45 minutes if not longer.

I do agree that it all has to do with your schedule and priorities though, and distance/timing, affordability, riding goals, etc. all play into it as well.

Finalcanter 04-26-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plomme (Post 2351769)
Right now it would be way too little, but I am used to riding 5 or 6 times per week. But most of my riding life before this was once a week lessons and for many years not even that, so I would have been thrilled with 30 minutes.

Whether or not it is realistic depends on your workload at university and your priorities. If riding is your #1 must have I'm sure you'll find a way. But maybe you will find things that you love and interest you so much that you sacrifice riding time - university is such a wonderful time for new experiences. You don't have to commit to anything in advance, just see what you want when it comes.

that's quite true, university will be exciting and full of other things do, and I am definitely going to participate in college clubs once in a while. yeah, I should probably simmer down until I settle down into uni. I suppose I'm just bolstered because cannot practice anything I've learned, taking up most of my lesson time relearning instead of going forward. I guess there's a time for everything.

TheLauren 04-26-2013 08:44 PM

CW Post has a nice riding program. I went there for part of my undergrad. Unfortunately, it's an expensive school unless you get a scholarship.

amberly 04-26-2013 08:50 PM

For me -also with my goals later in life, but even in just general - it would be too little. It takes me 40 to 50 minutes to brush my horses. I would want at least 40 minutes - even if it is just brushing my horses, haha!!

Roadyy 04-27-2013 08:09 AM

I get several hours a day WITH the horses in my back yard, but barely get 30 minutes every two weeks in riding time. I go out there every afternoon aster work to feed and doctor as needed. Brush/bath and treat for bugs to make their life a little easier. Scooping up the pasture poop, mucking stalls and treating the pile. I'm home most evenings by 5:45 and get in the house around 8-9 pm depending on if I'm setting a new round bale and cleaning up the remains of the old one or mending a fence where they have been leaning on it. Walking the pastures to look for any kind of dangers and just being with them in general. I've had my wife come out there and wake me up at 11 pm before because I fell asleep sitting on the ground against the barn just watching them interact with each other. I leave for work at 5 am 6 days a week then church on Sunday so this is routine.

Life is always finding it's way of getting in the way to get in the saddle.

Finalcanter 04-27-2013 03:28 PM

I honestly don't mind not* riding-I'd rather be around a horse mucking out a stall than not seeing any at all. I'll keep myself busy-I have plenty of horse related books and what not. I can keep myself preoccupied with trying to recognize the different breeds.

tinaev 04-27-2013 04:44 PM

That's about all I get of actual riding. My horse is kept on my mom's property which is about 40 minutes away. So I drive there, visit with my mom and let Rio out to eat in the other field. He gets 30 minutes of grazing and then if I decide to ride that day he will get about 30 minutes of riding time. We're slowly trying to build his muscle up and get him into a decent condition, so 30 minutes is about all he can handle anyway.

I usually do this once each weekend as that's as much gas as I can afford to put in my car to go see him.