The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Nice soft coat plus mane & tail. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/nice-soft-coat-plus-mane-tail-182089/)

SA Trail Rider 04-25-2013 06:19 PM

Nice soft coat plus mane & tail.

Hello,

I have a grey pony who has lived out for his whole life ( technically as a wild horse) and is course to the touch. With brushing, his coat has become softer but I want to make it softer and more luxurious and maybe even with a shine? Haha.

I'd also like to make his very, very coarse mane and tail nice and soft too.

Any tips for me?

Thank you so very much.

~SATR
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 04-25-2013 06:23 PM

Flax seed! About half a cup a day, ground or whole. I feed whole.

JustWingIt 04-25-2013 06:33 PM

Agree with flax seed. I also use a product called Healthy Haircare on my gelding:

Healthy HairCareŽ Hair Moisturizer in Coat Conditioners at Schneider Saddlery

I really like it over something like ShowSheen because instead of that temporary "slickness" that you get when you use something like ShowSheen, their coats (after continued use) really look healthier and more moisturized. My guy is super shiny and soft, I've been using it on his coat for the whole winter. So he's keeping his ahine since his coat is healthier...not just looking shiny because of a silicone based product.

Also...elbow grease!! Really get in there with your curry and try to get rid of all dead hair, skin, and dirt. Then a nice stiff (not too hard) brush.
Posted via Mobile Device

Honeysuga 04-25-2013 06:43 PM

A great haircoat begins on the inside. Good nutrition is key. Supplementing things like flax seed and oil and vegetable oil will also help when supplemented in with his feed. Try not to bathe him too much and brush as often as possible to encourage the skin to produce more natural oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

PrairieChic 04-25-2013 06:56 PM

I agree with the above mentions of ground flax seed and oil, a nice coat comes from the inside. I like MTG for making manes and tails soft instantly. Stinks but they turn out really nice.lol.

NaeNae87 04-25-2013 10:17 PM

Good nutrition and lots of elbow grease. There are no shortcuts for a nice coat.

aforred 04-25-2013 10:23 PM

If you don't know much about feeding for a healthy coat, browse the Nutrition and Hoof forums. The same nutrients that make for healthy hooves also make healthy coats.

SA Trail Rider 04-26-2013 04:27 AM

Ok,

Thank you so much for your input above. I just have some problems. Not with you but with flaxseed as such and feeding.

1.) It apparently does not get cold enough in South Africa for flaxseed so everything here is imported, thus violently expensive or in oil that is also extremely expensive.

2.) He doesn't get fed but rather grazes out and keeps condition really well(he is even fat, haha). If I were to get a hold of flaxseed or the oil even, how would I give it to him?

Thanks hey. :)

~SATR

blue eyed pony 04-26-2013 06:05 AM

SATR, have you tried looking for linseed? It's the same thing, just different name. Can't get flaxseed in Australia either - it's sold as linseed here. We have a very similar climate to yours, hence merino sheep and cane toads [idk what they're called in South Africa but that's where they were imported from] have done amazingly here.

I'm presently feeding a coat supplement called Omega Maxicoat, which is I think a mix of kinds of seeds that give the horse what it needs for an amazing coat, and my gelding's coat is really nice. Unfortunately I can't give it to my filly because she has either food allergies or extreme protein/carb sensitivity and goes lame on certain feeds. I don't groom all that much, I haven't clipped anybody yet, they do have rugs on at night though.

Recently I washed my lad in human shampoo and then used human conditioner on him. Some horses can't cope with that and come up in allergic reactions so do be careful and patch test first - but his coat came up SO soft and shiny! And his mane and tail too. I don't think his mane and tail have felt so nice... ever... they're kind of coarse but they feel gorgeous now. So, if you DO have to bathe your pony, condition him! It replaces the natural oils in the coat. Or use a shampoo that doesn't strip them in the first place. That sort of thing -is- available, but more for people than horses.

My horses are both on hoof supplements as well as coat supplements, by the by :) one has really bad, shelly walls [really hard soles though, and his feet aren't that bad allround, just gets cracks and chips really bad no matter how short I keep him] and the other is a young TB so proper nutrition to feed her hoof development is super-important. Plus the hoof supplement can have the side-benefit of assisting with minor joint problems, and my filly has a stifle-centric, feed-related lameness that is completely gone at the moment because she's on the right feeds for her. [I feed Biotin and the bucket says it's good for coat, cartilage and hooves... I also feed MSM which helps with biotin absorption and is good for... guess what... "cartilage, skin, hair and nails" - mine is supplied for cheap by a company that refines it for human consumption]

TBforever 04-27-2013 06:54 AM

we use to give miover sunflower seeds and livamol, he only gets chaff,maxi soy and weight gain pellets,and equine chia, and his coats shiny