The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Update on Jubilee: She Colicked! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/update-jubilee-she-colicked-18211/)

Jubilee Rose 11-24-2008 11:40 AM

Update on Jubilee: She Colicked!

Hi guys, so if any of you read my post entitled "I'm a little worried about Jubilee," you will know I was worried because she didn't finish her dinner. Well sure enough my intuition about something not being right was true. She was lying down a lot, stretching, looking at her belly and on Sunday I got a call from the barn saying that it looked like colic. :cry: I rushed out there, stopping to get some 911 emergency colic paste, When I got there she was being walked out and seemed fine. She has it very mild and she's not thrashing or kickingm just uncomfortable ... :-( So we gave her the oral paste, along with plenty of water, mineral oil and a TON of walking. I called the vet and told him what was going on and he said keep an eye on her, keep doing what you are doing and call me if it gets worse. I can't go into a lot of detail right now because I am actually at the barn right now and came inside to get warm and use the computer(3 days here, with little sleep and food but I have been going home for the night). But yeah, she seemed to be getting better yesterday -- pooped, peed, drank water on her own and even eating hay -- but later on she was lifting her legs and tried to lay down again. I barely slept all night, but there was nothing I could do for her, so I just went back home. Got a call this morning at 7am -- she wasn't eating her grain and was laying down. Called the vet and came out right away. He filled her with fluids, gave her some painkiller shots and did a rectal. Said he couldn't find anything twisted inside, but it said its probably impaction colic in the large intestine. Anyway, we have to give her another shot soon. My friend is out there with her, but I'm heading back outside soon. Anyway he said that hopefully there will be an improvement by 3:00. :-| Please pray for her. Brownies for all who read this, and I'll keep you all posted.

FGRanch 11-24-2008 11:43 AM

So sorry to hear, I hope she gets better. Give yourself and Jubilee and hug for me. Be stong and so will she.

servinator 11-24-2008 12:02 PM

Both you and Jubilee are in my prayers, never underestimate the power of love.

missy06 11-24-2008 12:04 PM

Aw sweetie I'm really sorry to hear that :-( I hope Jubilee makes a speedy and completely recovery, and lots of hugs to you.

NorthernMama 11-24-2008 12:57 PM

Sending hugs (()) and caffeine.

Angel_Leaguer 11-24-2008 01:11 PM

sorry to hear that... I hope everything turns out ok. Here is a warm sandwich to go along with the caffeine^^^

gotxhorses 11-24-2008 01:13 PM

Awwh, I hope everything is okay! I'll be thinking about you two.

Jubilee Rose 11-24-2008 02:17 PM

Hey guys, another update:
We gave her another shot. She still hasn't drank any water on her own so we've been using a syringe. She seems to be doing a bit better. She's eating her hay now and she finally had a couple handfuls of grain (the first time since Saturday morning). She did try to lie down again (before the shot) but she hasn't rolled. The vet said she can lay down as long as she doesn't roll.

Thanks so much for the coffee and sandwiches. :-) You guys are so great. Our barn manager's husband brought hot chocolate and donuts, so that was nice.

I'll keep you guys updated.

G and K's Mom 11-24-2008 02:31 PM

Has the vet tubed her, if they thought impaction they usually tube a gallon or so? Is she pooping?

Sending good thoughts your way. Keep us updated.

Peggysue 11-24-2008 02:36 PM

Please don't feed a colicking horse ANYTHING no hay or grain at all if it is an impaction it will make it worse ...

if she lays quiet let her lay, another trick to try put her in the trailer and take her for a ride .... it seems to work on getting their bowels moving agian ...

thoughts are with you and your girl