The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Joint Pain? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/joint-pain-182145/)

animallove 04-25-2013 07:54 PM

Joint Pain?

My horses previous owner told me that they had my horse on joint supplement because he walked stiffly. He was fine until recently his legs started to crack every time he moved them. Should I be concerned or is that normal?

Thanks.

BevJacobsEquineMassage 04-25-2013 09:58 PM

Joint Supplement

How old is your horse? How hard is he worked? In the horses I see, who are mostly competition horses, they are all on joint supplements around age 10, and then on Adequan or Legend, or both, around age 12 or 13. They also have regular body work and other supplements. Horses in hard work require a lot of maintenance!

waresbear 04-25-2013 10:30 PM

Feed thru joint supplements are a waste of your money. They work very minimally if at all. Ask your vet for actual joint injections, cheaper and works!

animallove 04-25-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevJacobsEquineMassage (Post 2349249)
How old is your horse? How hard is he worked? In the horses I see, who are mostly competition horses, they are all on joint supplements around age 10, and then on Adequan or Legend, or both, around age 12 or 13. They also have regular body work and other supplements. Horses in hard work require a lot of maintenance!

My gelding is 12 years old and he is out on the pasture for the whole day and runs around a bit. I don't do heavy work with him, mostly just the occasional ride and exercising him. He hasn't shown any signs of pain other than the fact that he has started to buck, which I'm thinking might be because of this legs?

BevJacobsEquineMassage 04-26-2013 12:33 AM

Bucking can be the result of a sore back, a poorly fitting saddle, or yes, discomfort in hind legs or higher up.
He is at the age where the body often starts to show signs of deterioration. I wish I were closer so I could take a look at him!