The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Career dilemma / advice and thoughts? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/career-dilemma-advice-thoughts-18216/)

Johnswife 11-24-2008 01:05 PM

Career dilemma / advice and thoughts?

So, I've been in my current position (accounting) for about 2 and a half years. Prior to this I had experience in the front office management position as well as front office itself and night audit. I've worked with (but not actually in or for) housekeeping and food and beverage at another hotel that was a full service boutique type hotel when their staff was short.

Since I've been where I am, the front office manager position has come open 3 times. The first 2 times I applied and was turned down. I was told that because the front desk had so many employee issues (they just decide to not show up at times) and I live 2 hours away, that it wouldn't work. If someone didn't come in it would take me much too long to show up to cover them. I think that was a BS answer, but whatever.

Since then, they've hired an Asst FOM and have 2 supervisors in place that have been here for a while and are reliable. The front desk is finally getting a bit better.

So, the last time they had the position open I thought of it and decided that it wasn't good timing for me. I was having child issues with my middle child, John's health was really bad and things were just kind of upside down.

My boss came in and told me that several of the people from the front desk came in and asked them to give me the job. The HR Director and GM both discussed and and didn't think it was a good idea. They did send my boss in to talk to me however, and explain that they didn't want me to think it was a personal thing and they offered me a position in any other place in the hotel keeping my management level with all it's perks and same pay if I wanted. They'd even create a position for me.

I told him that it wasn't the right timing and I was really happy where I was. And I am. I've got a super cushy job. I create my own hours, come and go as I please, do my work in any order / time frame I want as long as I'm meeting corporate end of month dead lines. I've got plenty time for socializing if I want, chatting on here, etc. My boss is phenomenal; the boss of my dreams. He totally 150% supports everything I do and lets me do my job my way, never questioning anything. I'm so very lucky with what I have.

On the other hand, being solely responsible for $15,000 in cash and all the credit card information that travels through a hotel is a big responsibility. I have to be very careful to abide by federal law when it comes to credit cards or I could cost the hotel millions of dollars. I'm responsible for backing up my accounting staff and stepping into their shoes if anything ever comes up. All banking here is my responsibility. I'm half of the two person group (along with the HR Director) that's responsible for payroll, so if I don't get that out on time 167 people don't get paid. It is a big responsibility and I don't take it lightly.

On the other hand I'm getting burned out. We plan on moving to ME in a few years when the girls have moved out. I'd love to own / run my own B&B during the spring / summer / fall seasons up there and then spend the winters in TN or KY. To do that I really need to expand my resume before any bank will even start to think of loaning me money for it. I need to show a background that's rich in all aspects of hospitality, including front office management, food and beverage, and housekeeping. My time in those areas has been pretty limited in all honesty; front office management for 2 years being the max. So, while my accounting background is pretty good (currently a combined total of about 7 years) I do need to add some other areas.

However, the front office is still a mess. The FOM that just left was a waste of space. He did nothing but sit in the Director of Operations office and gab all day. He was a big time wimp who never stood up to the DO, who is a major micro manager. I'm so used to my boss who gives me free reign. He trusted me with a job that I'm capable of doing and he is confident enough in me to sit back and let me do it. I'm that kind of manager myself; if I don't think you can do the job I won't hire you. I have enough to do without having to do your job too. So, that would be my first clash. I talked to the Exec Housekeeper and asked what it was like working for the DO. He said if you just tell him what you're doing and he doesn't agree he tells him he's doing it anyway and it's his department and the DO backs off. The Exec Chef is the same way. I have no problem holding my ground. I think I've got more testosterone surging through my little female body than half the guys here anyway.

It's also a very hands on position that requires a ton of work and tongue biting. That is going to be my problem. I'm sooo not good at biting my tongue. I can, but it just frustrates me to no end. But yes, I can do it.

If I apply for, and get the FOM job, it means battling a DO that will tick me off daily, biting my tongue when it comes to snobby guest's that have a true entitlement attitude, and dealing with a couple associates that need to be put in their place. It also is about a $5000 a year raise and a move to the Executive level from the Management level.

So, that's the debate. Do I try out for the move? If I'm serious and I went in to see the GM, HR Director and my boss all at once - called a meeting situation - and really pushed hard for it, I think I could get the job. I know I need to try it for my career / future. I know it will be hard work, but I also know I can do it and excel at it.

So everyone, thoughts and opinions? Pros and cons? I know they're listed above. I probably just need to list them.... Ugh....