The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Need help finding barefoot/natural hoof farrier (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/need-help-finding-barefoot-natural-hoof-182233/)

itsjustme 04-25-2013 10:54 PM

Need help finding barefoot/natural hoof farrier

I would like help finding natural hoof (also called barefoot hoof) farrier or trimmer in central Illinois.

I am about 20 miles west and south of Peoria. I've tried to google for names or listings and the closest I can find is over 50 miles away. At one time I had found a person at Eureka IL who specialized in it, but can not find anyone in that are now. Also found one listed in Fairview or Yates City area and again I can not find anyone in that area.

Could anyone help find good safe people who do natural hoof care, barefoot hoof care?
I would really like to have someone who is certified and/or licensed.

Phly 04-25-2013 11:01 PM

The horses hoof site seems to have a pretty good directory.
Posted via Mobile Device

itsjustme 04-25-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2349273)
The horses hoof site seems to have a pretty good directory.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry, I am pretty fuzzy with my thinking so I am not quite understanding where you are telling me to look.

Where would I find the horses hoof site?

Again, I am sorry for sounding like an idiot. I;ve got too high of blood sugar happening and my insulin doesn't seem to be helping it, plus I have been unpacking 10-15 very large packing boxes each day (from moving), and some of them got mouse infested adn I have been inhaling really bad stuff (I have asthma, auto-immune disease, and heart conditon and the bad stuff is not making me feel any too well.

waresbear 04-25-2013 11:40 PM

Just find a good farrier, he knows how to trim just as well, in fact he went to farrier school longer!

Phly 04-25-2013 11:45 PM

It's a website with a state directory.
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 04-25-2013 11:45 PM

Every qualified farrier can do barefoot. It's a new thing this natural stuff, and it's nonsense.

loosie 04-28-2013 07:29 PM

Alex & wares, that is your opinion - perhaps you're lucky enough to have a GOOD farrier & possibly you've experienced a bad 'trimmer' too. But be they a farrier or trimmer, there are good, skillful, well educated ones & there are average ones & there are idiots. Qualifications don't necessarily mean much IME... excepting that qualified farriers tend to have better metalworking skills.

OP I'd look up Pete Ramey - think there is a list on his site of trimmers that he advocates(many trimmer's 'directories' allow anyone to list), or you could email them & ask if they can recommend anyone in your area.