The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Marriage (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/marriage-182273/)

Jennakaaate 04-25-2013 10:58 PM

Marriage

So, I turn 18 in less than 2 months
So far, 5 people have asked me when I'm going to get married. My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 3 years now, and the thought of marriage gives me mixed emotions. On one hand, it excites me. I love Nate very much, and he is definitely the one. I couldn't imagine my life without him by my side.
On the other hand, it scares the crap out of me. Simply because I am turning 18 soon, and I will be moving out of my parents' home and going back to my hometown. Turning 18 is scary enough as it is..I don't think that I could throw marriage into the equation so soon. It's just so much responsibility.The thought of paper work, legal documents, taxes, etc. scares me out of my mind. So, I think I should get a handle on being "grown up" first before I even think about marriage. Plus, Nate is joining the military in a few weeks anyway, so I'd rather wait until he's out of active duty before we get married. That gives me so much more time to get my priorities straight and start planning the wedding.
I guess you could say that we are "engaged to be engaged". I have a beautiful promise ring that he gave me last year, and I only take it off when I swim or take a shower. I just love it so much. It has so much meaning behind it. <3
We've talked about marriage a lot, but he hasn't officially proposed yet. My mom has even asked me if we were thinking about getting married.
I just don't know what to tell them. I guess I should be posting this on Facebook, so my family and friends can see it. Who knows? Maybe I will. But I think that I just need to type it out and post it on here so I can get it out of my head & try to make people understand how I feel.

cakemom 04-25-2013 11:16 PM

Just the fact that you have put this much thought in it tells me you are on your way to maturity. You are very right. Not being married will NoT ruin your relationship but being married to soon can. You both need to be in the right place and you will know when the time is right.
I gave up higher education to be married, and I have never regretted it. But...never once did I think is this what I should do, I knew. If you don't KNOW then its prob not time.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 04-25-2013 11:17 PM

893 Attachment(s)
No need to rush. If its meant to be, it will.

at I8, i was so excited to get married. It ended up a horrible nearly 5 year relationship. Looking back, I was so young and stupid. I'm so glad I didn't marry him.

at 24 , im still not ready...
Posted via Mobile Device

HeroMyOttb 04-25-2013 11:21 PM

You have all the time in the world. Just make sure its the right time. Don't have to rush, that can ruin things.

cakemom 04-25-2013 11:35 PM

By the way, just as exciting aside.....in two more days we celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. WOW!! I am 38 years old btw!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jennakaaate 04-25-2013 11:43 PM

Thanks, you guys! It's nice to know that some people agree with me. About a year ago, I couldn't wait to turn 18 just so we could get married. Now I'm thinking differently. It's not cold feet or uncertainty, it's just reality (I think I just wrote a song xD). Plus the fact that we are dead-broke..lol

Jennakaaate 04-25-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakemom (Post 2350497)
By the way, just as exciting aside.....in two more days we celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. WOW!! I am 38 years old btw!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations!!! :)

Skyseternalangel 04-26-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennakaaate (Post 2350545)
Plus the fact that we are dead-broke..lol

Yeah... no marriage for you right now. Wait until you aren't dead broke :)

Jennakaaate 04-26-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 2350721)
Yeah... no marriage for you right now. Wait until you aren't dead broke :)

Exactly. In about a month we will be "slightly broke"..and then I will be saving up for a new car. lol

Skyseternalangel 04-26-2013 12:29 AM

New car? Why not slightly used?