The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Hoof oil? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/hoof-oil-1824/)

Gixer 05-10-2007 10:57 AM

Hoof oil?

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but my daughter was given a gift yestersday a 'hoof kit' inside was a hoof pick, a brush, black hoof oil, green hoof oil and green hoof gel -

What on earth do I do with it?! Im fine with the hoof pick and do our mares feet everyday, but what do I do with the oil? do i paint it on - all over the hoof including the underneath or just the top part? Do I use one product then the other, such as black oil first then the green gel ontop?

What is it supposed to do? :?

*ArabianPrincess* 05-10-2007 11:33 AM

Hey that's not a silly question at all.

I know about the black oil.

You use it when you're showing such as Dressage/Hacking/Lead and other Type's.
But with some breeds such as the welsh pony they have to be left all natural in the lead ring.

Picture of Black hooves - http://www.aces.edu/fourh/RegionalSi...20Show%201.jpg

The oils. Well in Australia the oil we use is Brown/light tan colour and i apply it to the top and bottom of my horses Hooves.

I have been notified not to use it a day before the farrier comes because he/she will not trim/shoe you're horse for obvious reasons.

Hope i was some help

Gixer 05-10-2007 11:49 AM

Thank you!

Nancy doesnt wear shoes though, and I dont do any sort of shows with her- shes just our pet horse that lives in our yard and the kids ride her - should I still use the oil? is it just to make the hooves look pretty or is it actually good for promoting strong hooves/growth etc?

*ArabianPrincess* 05-10-2007 11:54 AM

it just makes them look pretty.
You also dont have to have a horse that wear's shoe's to use the black oil. I get black boot polish when i show.. (its cheaper :lol: )

But i wouldnt use it unless showing/Riding club or even pony club. In the end its up to you.

But the hoof oil that you have if its a daily one you know you can apply it once a day to keep the hoove's not brittle and stop them from splitting.

Gixer 05-10-2007 12:09 PM

Thanks again for the advice, I did a bit of a search and the green oil & gel is a daily thing thats good for the hooves as you said to stop brittleness, and the black oil just to look pretty, Nancy is a black horse and maybe the kids would think its fun to give her a 'makeover' and paint her nails all pretty :lol:

Shes such a loving old girl she just stands there practically begging to be petted so Im sure she would enjoy the extra attention :wink:

Should I put it on the frog aswell or not?

Dave Singleton 05-10-2007 03:34 PM

Putting oil on the underside could actually be pretty dangerous as it could cause the horse the slip. I have also heard that it may prevent the frog from "breathing" which could cause thrush which could bring all sorts of problems!
I personally rarely get a chance to get my hands on the hoof oil (cn be quite therapeutic) as I'm scared that I will not put exactly the right shade on the horse to 'suit' him/her perfectly. Most of the helpers down the yard are female and take horse fashion very seriously.
I will never forget the argument over which horse gets which colour/style of tinsel for the Christmas makeover last year... us males quickly ducked out to do 'other jobs' pretty sharpish to avoid being dragged in!

kristy 05-10-2007 04:00 PM

I would advise using hoof oil only at shows. It can offset the moisture balance in the hoof and also make the nails in the hoof for the horse's shoe to slip more easily, causing you to lose a shoe.

Gixer 05-10-2007 06:41 PM

This is the bit i dont understand - Nancy isnt shod, and we dont go to shows, so if I put the black oil on it would just be to look pretty for a bit, but the green oil and gel is supposed to be good for the hooves - so I dont know if I should start putting in on her feet or not?
Would I in those circumstances put the green oil all over her hooves including the underneath and the frog aswell? does it really actually do anything? (the green oil not the black) :?

KANSAS_TWISTER 05-10-2007 11:02 PM

what's the name of the product that was given for nancy?, that way we can tell what kind of oil it is, is it like hooflex ? let us know so we can direct you in the right way

Gixer 05-11-2007 10:11 AM

Thanks!

Its called Lincolns Green hoof oil and green hoof gel and also a bottle of Lincolns black hoof oil, it all came together in a little zip lock type bag a bit like a make up bag - but no isntructions :lol: I guess Lincolns assume that if your going to buy hoof oil you know what to do with it lol