The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Leg wraps for gaited? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/leg-wraps-gaited-18261/)

twogeldings 11-24-2008 11:56 PM

Leg wraps for gaited?

I am going to start my 2 year old (three in spring) under saddle soon and was wondering if I should use leg wraps on his front legs. I don't have a nice flat arena or round pen to work in unfortunately. Just three or so acres of fenced, rather hillish ground, and I'm a bit worried about the stress it would put on his legs.
He is a Missouri Fox Trotter, are wraps not to be used on gaited?

I was also wondering if they should be used on my nine year old, whom will also be ridden on the same ground.

PG'sGal4ever 11-25-2008 12:04 AM

Yes you can use a wrap on both your Front legs, if his legs are sore after riding you can use some ligament shampoo" I beleive thats what its called" after a workout.

My TW trainer always uses wraps on her horses, I'll have to ask and see if theres any particular reason why.

smrobs 11-25-2008 01:13 AM

I think it is always better to protect the horse's legs when you are able. There is really no reason not to use wraps on gaited horses unless it interferes with their movement. However; that is what wraps are designed for right, support without inhibiting?

twogeldings 11-25-2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 197213)
I think it is always better to protect the horse's legs when you are able. There is really no reason not to use wraps on gaited horses unless it interferes with their movement. However; that is what wraps are designed for right, support without inhibiting?

That's what I was wondering. I've used wraps before on the Arabian's I used to rode when I took lessons. I'm just mildly worried with the ups and downs of the land that without some added support, they may be injured. I didn't know if using wraps on gaited was a big no-no or not though :D

I think I'll get a set of leg wraps when I go shopping for a bit and a riding crop tomorrow. I'll most definitely be using them when I start training my QH filly.