The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   For the people from the UK???? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/people-uk-18265/)

RegalCharm 11-25-2008 12:12 AM

For the people from the UK????

Now we know you all drive on the wrong side of the Road.:-P

With out looking up the answer. Can you answer the question

of why you drive on the left side?? Or I should say why

this practice of driving on the left hand side of the road started??:D

No Cheating by looking up the reason.:?

Jehanzeb 11-25-2008 03:51 AM

We drive on the right side not the left side Regal :-)

Regards

claireauriga 11-25-2008 06:28 AM

I don't know if it's an urban myth or not, but it's commonly cited that travelling on the left kept one's right hand free for defending oneself with a sword. There is evidence that the Romans marched on the left as well.

RegalCharm 11-25-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claireauriga (Post 197265)
I don't know if it's an urban myth or not, but it's commonly cited that travelling on the left kept one's right hand free for defending oneself with a sword. There is evidence that the Romans marched on the left as well.

right answer. you get an A+:-)

they would move to the left when passing so if they had to draw
there sword it would be ready

Jehanzeb 11-25-2008 06:58 AM

Wow! what did I get 0?

Darn another F to my list of grades!

Dad talk to the principal and get me to the next class!

:-)

Regards

RegalCharm 11-25-2008 07:35 AM

I think the question confused you.:D

as to not which side of the car the steering wheel is on but,
as to the traffic lane that the car is actually driven in.

Jehanzeb 11-25-2008 07:36 AM

Hahaha! I am full of confusion. The only time I don't get confuse is when I am not thinking. Hahhaa :-)

I got what you meant earlier on now.:-)

Regards

TaMMa89 11-25-2008 08:01 AM

I've a question regarding left-handed driving style.

We (who drive right) have to give way for those who come from our right side. Do you have to give way for those who come from your left side?

RegalCharm 11-25-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaMMa89 (Post 197313)
I've a question regarding left-handed driving style.

We (who drive right) have to give way for those who come from our right side. Do you have to give way for those who come from your left side?

yes, unless you are at a traffic light and have the green light. (GO)

claireauriga 11-25-2008 12:54 PM

Are you talking about rules at junctions? They're different in every country as well as whether you drive on the left (RHS car) or drive on the right (LHS car).

In the UK, we drive on the left with right-hand steering cars.

If I recall correctly from my theory test, which was nearly two years ago ... at an unmarked junction with no traffic lights, no one has priority. Most junctions, however, are minor roads crossing a major road, so they are marked so that traffic on the major road has priority.

At traffic lights, you go when you have a green light. If you have a green circle, rather than a green arrow, you do not have sole right of way. For example, you may be about to turn right (across the flow of traffic) and have to wait for the people coming the other way to finish before you can actually go across. However, if you had the green arrow, your way would be clear and you could go straight over.

At a roundabout, you give way to those already on the roundabout, i.e. coming from the right.

I have a question for those who drive on the right. I've heard, many times, comments that 'it would be impossible to handle a manual gearbox/stick shift with my left hand'. I have actually found the opposite: I would hate to be controlling the steering of the car with just my left hand all the time. Gear manoeuvres are easy; keeping the car straight requires stronger muscles. I usually rest my left, rather than my right, when driving. Do you agree with the statement about it being hard to handle gearboxes with your left hand?