The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Leg stretches? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/leg-stretches-182785/)

xxdanioo 04-26-2013 04:52 PM

Leg stretches?

So long story short, my gelding has contracted tendons. Are there any stretches I can do with him, from the ground (knee's aren't closed, no riding) that might be able to help with this problem of ours? He is on 1 gram of bute for the next two weeks to help calm down the tendons, relax his legs a bit, as per vet orders. He initially said we could ride to help stretch him out, but then we x-rayed, and NO riding haha.

Please let me know all the stretches you can do with your horse :)

Aesthetic 04-26-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxdanioo (Post 2356521)
So long story short, my gelding has contracted tendons. Are there any stretches I can do with him, from the ground (knee's aren't closed, no riding) that might be able to help with this problem of ours? He is on 1 gram of bute for the next two weeks to help calm down the tendons, relax his legs a bit, as per vet orders. He initially said we could ride to help stretch him out, but then we x-rayed, and NO riding haha.

Please let me know all the stretches you can do with your horse :)

How old is your horse?

xxdanioo 04-26-2013 07:27 PM

Just turned 3.
Posted via Mobile Device

Aesthetic 04-26-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxdanioo (Post 2358017)
Just turned 3.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yikes -.- he's just out of the hand on stretching zone. I do know that a farrier should be able to help some. Corrective Trimming and Shoeing in Contracted Tendons of Foals Take a look at this article

xxdanioo 04-27-2013 07:56 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look.

xxdanioo 04-30-2013 10:22 PM

bump? :)

aforred 04-30-2013 10:40 PM

What, exactly, are you wanting to stretch?

xxdanioo 04-30-2013 10:56 PM

His front legs. Where he has contracted tendons.

aforred 04-30-2013 11:21 PM

My first recommendation would be to have the vet show you. In any case, I would call and ask if this stretch would be appropriate in his case.

I do this stretch, and a version that's a bit different.

The thing I do, in addition to this, is pick up the leg, grip under the toe, and bring it forward slowly. I keep the hoof fairly low, and keep my grip so that I can get out of the way if the horse puts the foot down. What you really want to do is let the horse stretch himself. I can bring that foot forward, slowly, to the point where he decides it feels good, then let him take over.

**Never try to force a stretch. And keep the toe in line with his shoulder or just a little to the inside.

Skyseternalangel 05-02-2013 01:28 AM

Also to add on, it helps to lightly free lunge your horse first so their muscles are warmed up.