The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Horsenality (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/horsenality-182873/)

eeo11horse 04-26-2013 06:39 PM

Horsenality

Has anyone ever done the Parelli Horsenality test for their horse or got one for themselves? What are your horses? Mine are...
Rusty: used to be a strong Right Brain Introvert but now he borderlines on RBI and LBI
Buddy: stong LBE
Dusty: LBI

Saddlebag 04-27-2013 07:42 AM

Read how Klaus Hempfling cateforizes horses. My good trail horse was a Pilgrim.

GamingGrrl 04-27-2013 10:41 AM

I don't use parelli's methods but I looked into horsenalities just because I was curious a while ago. Only one of my horses fits one (LBI) but it fits him to a Tee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fargosgirl 04-28-2013 10:28 AM

I actually purchased the "Horsenality Report" for my horse because he is such a complex horse. All of the information in the report is stuff that has been published in other PP material and as a long time follower of the program it wasn't worth the $$ because it was just a repeat of things I knew. I also think it missed the mark on my horse, because it did not ask questions about situational behavior. My horse is an extreme RB mildly introverted horse who wants to be an LBE, what I mean by that is he is usually extremely skittish and prefers to freeze rather than explode(but it doesn't take much to blow him up) but when he is relaxed he is very playful, curious, mischievous, though he is usually too nervous to let that side of himself show. The "report" pegged him as a RBE on the cusp of RBI, which I think reduced my very complex horse to a rather shallow equation. Trying my best to get my money's worth out of the report I tried following the step by step "lesson plan" for my horse, after a week he was acting like a very surly LBI, I went back to our usual play and haven't looked at the report since.

I do believe in the Horsenality concept, it has really helped me with every horse I have handled, but the report thing isn't very accurate if your horse doesn't fall neatly into one category, and many horses do not. The best thing is if you can read a horse and know all of the horsenality types well enough to know where the horse is minute by minute and how to handle each horsenality type, because they can change from one horsenality to the next that fast.

I have also read Klaus Hempfling's book and had a hard time really getting a feel for any of my horses from his descriptions because he deals more in spiritual and emotional terms rather than concrete "if this is what your horse is doing he is...." terms. I highly respect and value Hempfling's work and own all of his books, but when it comes to putting a label on a horse's personality I find the Parelli diagram easier to follow.

Saddlebag 04-28-2013 10:17 PM

Let's see, Friendly would be one and Aloof is the other and that's how I deal with each. Aloof used to be Scared Sh**less. Makes sense to me.

Nokotaheaven 04-29-2013 01:49 AM

My horse is 110% Left brain introvert... -_- but i love her regardless lol.
And what about categorizing yourself? I'm a right brain introvert, which mrobably explains why i get along best with right brain introvert horses lol

eeo11horse 04-29-2013 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
According to this chart I'm a LBI (INTJ). I also like to use the aloof/frightful/social/challenging types to classify my horses.
Buddy would be a strong social and some frightful.
Rusty is social, aloof, and frightful. He's by far my most complex horse. He's aloof around people he doesn't know, social around me, and frightful at random times.
Dusty is social with maybe a hint of challenging and aloof. Not exactly sure what he's gonna be becaue he's still young and we haven't done any extensive training with him yet.

eeo11horse 04-29-2013 06:17 PM

I'm definitely an introvert although I have no trouble working with my highly extroverted/ social horse. I find that when I'm around horses (or talking about them ;) ) I am more extroverted.

SassaSavvy 04-29-2013 07:26 PM

I've got an LBE/I and an RBI. I am an RBI so when I was looking for my next horse, I was looking for one that would match me better. I love my Sassy girl (the LBE/I) she has taught me so much about how to stand up for myself! Phoenix my RBI is teaching me how to calm down again and take it easy! Poor girl would go catatonic when the halter went on when I got her about 6 months ago, and has grown leaps and bounds in her emotional fitness since then!

Nokotaheaven 04-30-2013 02:07 AM

Something else I've learned is hoses don't really fit into just one of the categories, they just have more traits and tendencies in one category than the rest.
Like i know a left brain extrovert who has moments of right brain extrovert. And me myself, even though im right brain introvert, i have moments of left brain introvert