The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   please help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/please-help-1830/)

supersonic 05-10-2007 05:58 PM

please help

i'm having a problem with my horse drinking properly. Out in the pasture my horse will drink very well, but when I put him in his stall he won't drink any water. He has been used to his stall for a couple of years now, so it isn't like it's new. we used to have electric waterers, so we couldn't tell how much our horses were drinking. But, our waterers were old, so we replaced them. But it isn't automatic anymore. His bucket of water is always full. Does anyone know why he won't drink?

DesertGal 05-10-2007 07:31 PM

Is the bucket clean? Is the water different somehow? Different pluming, as in copper pipes vs. pvc, or something? Maybe he just isn't thirsty. He drank outside. :?

You could put some apple cider vinegar in his water. It makes the water taste good, and it is good for him.... Just a thought.

welshcoblady 05-11-2007 06:26 AM

Wont drink

Hello horse are creatures of habit some more than others.
Drinking out side is natural if the water is close to the ground also
he has seen the other horse drink there to so he knows its safe the water will taste different to the water in his box and at a different height and container he is just being cautious as horses are for the sake of there well being.
Or it maybe he has had something unpleasant happen that may have worried him it does not take much
Piped water in copper pipes or old pipes can taste bitter even to much chlorine or natural mins can put a horse off drinking it could be many many reasons if you put a little salt in his feed this will encourage him to drink sometimes adding mint or apple juice in the water can help or float cut up apples in his water which should be on ground level .
If the container is chest level may be to drink he has to flex his poll and neck to a certain angle to drink this may be uncomfortable
also sore teeth and gums can worry horse about drinking if the water is very cold .
I hope this have have given you some ideas to play with best wishes.

supersonic 05-14-2007 02:03 PM

thanks guys. you helped a lot. i added the apple juice and it worked well. and i am going to shorten the bucket as well and hope that that helps also. thanks everyone.

*ArabianPrincess* 05-14-2007 09:26 PM

Hey,

ive never herd of adding apple juice :? to a horses water before. I guess thats something new hehe :) .

Ive always been told if my horses isnt drinking as much as it should in another arena to add Molasses.

they love it and cant resist. also if you think you're horse is dehidrated grab the neck nere the whiter and get some skin and pull it back and then let go if it goes fast and stuff the horse is fine..