The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Breeding (/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Considering Breeding Next Year (

ArabianGirl27 04-27-2013 12:19 AM

Considering Breeding Next Year
I am considering breeding my mare about this time next year. She is a Polish Arabian mare, and I have always wanted to breed her to a homozygous tobiano Paint stallion...I think it might be a good experience. :) My cousin brought it up because she owns the barn where I keep Destiny and is thinking about breeding her QH/TB filly next year. She thought it would be cool to breed them at the same time. So it's up for consideration. In no way is this for sure, but it's at least fun to think about.

So I just am wondering... what costs will come into account after breeding? I know about feed and boarding costs, of course, and the stud fee. If it's live covering, are there any additional costs to the stud fee, other than trailering (such as vet fees and such)? And then after that there would just be vet bills after that? When and for what would I have to get the vet to come check on her? And about how much would that cost? I know there's already a topic about this, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Like I said, I'm not really serious about this yet, but I want to look into the costs of everything and see if I should even be thinking about it. I know things can go wrong and that will cost more, and I can deal with that if it comes, but if's way too expensive if things go right, it's just not going to happen right now.:P

PaintHorseMares 04-27-2013 06:15 AM

Just like anything else with horses, you will get a lot of different opinions about what is necessary for a pregnant mare. We have very low maintenance horses and have always kept their care as simple as possible.
For our mare that just foaled, we had the vet out to palpate her around 2 months (< $100) and gave her the Pneumabort vaccines at 5, 7, and 9 months ($15/shot) just to be safe. The biggest cost is that pregnant mares are ALWAYS hungry. We typically don't feed much grain/hard feed, but we did slowly increase her grain to double during the last 3 months.
Other than that, our vet's advice has always been "treat her like a horse", she had no problems at all, and had a beautiful black/white colt last Saturday.
Good luck if you decide to breed.

blue eyed pony 04-27-2013 06:39 AM

I've always heard you should have at least $5000 in the bank, not including your stud fee, before considering breeding. The more savings you have in case something goes wrong, the better. And then if all goes smoothly and according to plan and that fund isn't needed after all, you have that money aside for the inevitable 2am-on-a-Sunday emergency vet callout because someone has gotten hurt or sick... because let's face it, we have horses, and they ALWAYS choose the worst possible time to need the vet.

You do need to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. You could lose mare and foal both, and be thousands of $$$ out of pocket for vet fees to try to save them both. Can you cope with that? If not, don't breed. If so, then go right on ahead.

rookie 04-27-2013 07:03 AM

I would second seriously considering the health risks to the mare of breeding. A friend just lost a foal to malpresentation. The foal had to be cut out of the mare in sections. The mare had to be treated for possible infection and it was really just a horrible situation. The worse though is getting a foal on the ground that is unable to survive, the mares tend to go a little crazy when you have to euthanize a foal a few hours after birth. Or you could simply have a foal that did not nurse and then you start to spent the good money on trying to get its immune system up to par.

Also, look at your horse, look at your stud. Ask yourself what makes them so special. There are lots of horses out there and there are no guarantees. If you want color than its fairly easy to go out and find a horse already born and possibly already trained that is that color.

Foals are cute, but they are hard work and it takes about 3 years for them to of use. They stop being cute after about 6 months and become a bit snotty as they test all levels of you for about a year or so.

PaintHorseMares 04-27-2013 07:46 AM

^^^ I certainly agree with the above posts about the risks. Even with the best care, this is always a risk of losing the foal or mare or both.

ArabianGirl27 04-27-2013 04:32 PM

I do understand that there are always risks and if I do breed her, I will be prepared for them. And I do know that foals are hard work... that's one of the reasons I want to do this, lol. I had to deal with two 6-month old colts before, so I know what they can be like, but I never actually helped train them. I think this would be a good opportunity. I'll have to do more research about the costs of things around my area and then make a decision. :P

ArabianGirl27 04-27-2013 04:33 PM

Oh, and thanks for everybody's input. Anything you say will help, really, lol. :)

dbarabians 04-28-2013 03:03 AM

I do not spend much more on a pregnant mare than I do one any other horse I own. Maybe 300-350 dollars in extra feed and a five way shot 6 weeks before they are due to foal. I increase their feed in the last trimester.
I only have my mares USed if bred to an outside stallion.
You dont have to spend a large sum of money to get a healthy foal. Use common sense and mmake sure you have some ready cash for emergencys.
Good luck. Shalom

ArabianGirl27 04-28-2013 01:53 PM

Okay, thanks a lot! :)

NdAppy 04-28-2013 02:14 PM

You should ultrasound a mare at 14-16 days post breeding. It's to check for twins and be able to eliminate one so the pregnancy is viable.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome