The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

So annoying, can't find a trainer.

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  kitten_Val 
#1 ·
I've emailed or called every local barn to me that's decent. And I can't find a trainer who will come out to my barn. I've offered to pay double their lesson fees, and take lessons twice a month instead of once a week as I understand that they might have back to back lessons and traveling takes time away from that.

They all tell me I can ship in, I don't have a trailer. And if I did, Boyd Martin is close as are other GP level riders in Chester county, PA, if I had a way of getting to them, I would go to them over the B level barns I am emailing.

My farrier was at the barn tonight, so I asked him, he recommended a dressage trainer who is local. She doesn't have a website, but many videos online, she looks decent, so I found her on Facebook and messaged her.

It's so frustrating. I am in prime horse country, SE PA, and no one is willing to come out to me. I've been trying to get Lucas used to traffic, so I can hack out to a barn myself, but he freaks at motorcycles, and is not good with semi's. I don't have anyone to ride out with who is experienced in traffic to help him.

I am just so frustrated. My time for lessons is when the kids are in school, and so most people are working. It shouldn't be this hard.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ask at local feed stores also. My horse lady, she is over the horse section at a feed store. She does it all, trains, lessons, shoes & trims, just about anything you could want. But, she doesn't advertise because she gets plenty of business just from word of mouth. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
You just have to find a poor craven individual with a day job and no barn to train out of - like me! I have all my lessons set up as you described - between once a week and twice monthly on Saturdays - depending on shows and clinics. I travel to my students as I can't take any where I am boarded.

I hope you can find someone!! Good luck!! Also if you get really desperate, try emailing some local riders for recommendations on coaching - I get lots of emails from people I don't know from a hole in the wall asking me who there is to train with. It's not as weird as you might think.

Reactions: aforred
#4 ·
My problem is that I live a pretty isolated life because of the foster kids, and I didn't grow up here. So I only know the big barns, or B rated barns.

In an ideal world, I would love a good jumper trainer, I will take a hunter trainer, and the lady I just messaged is a dressage trainer.

I've asked people I know, and got recommendations, and they either know less than I do from their youtubes, or won't come out to me. It's so frustrating. Within a 10 min drive, there are 4 B rated barns from me. Obviously if I could ship into them, I would go to the GP barns that an hour away instead.

Callan Solem. Boyd Martin, and about 10 others are within an hour of me.

I don't know why the B rated barns think they are not worthy of a 10 min drive for a willing student, who pays cash, and I am willing to pay double rate.

I am just so frustrated that I can't find someone. I guess I need to work on Lucas's road skills. There's a barn 2 mins from me, literally 2 mins, but it involves 45 seconds of trotting down a busy road with semi's.

I wish you were close to me Anebel.

#5 ·
Just keep looking, you will have more luck trying to find a nomadic coach by asking around than by asking barns. I know if I had my own place, I'd sit my tushy on a chair and teach all day at my own place for sure!! You can't blame them. And actually, it might even be worth it to message Boyd Martin or someone and ask if he has any students who are starting out coaching and are traveling around to teach. I know if anyone contacted my coach, she would spew a list of names.

Lol I'm only a plane ride away :P

#8 ·
I second Anebel's idea! If you could find a student of a top notch trainer or maybe even an apprentice that would be a great option.

Just another idea to throw out there. I know you ride english and are in english country so this may not be an option. If it is just to get him over the boogers riding out what about a western trainer or a really good colt starter that is used to dealing with that type of thing on the daily?

Reactions: nvr2many
#10 ·
I only want to ride out so I can get to a barn for lessons. The problem is that she is on a main road, I can maybe find out who the farmer is that owns the field along side the road and ask if I can ride along the edge of his field instead of the edge of the road. Then I'd only have to cross the road. I think that might be safer, as it's a well traveled road, with semi trucks, and it's a 60mph limit.

I feel that I have more control under saddle than I would if I were leading him. My fear is that if he freaks out with a semi along side us, it could be bad.

It's literally only minutes on that road though. Maybe finding out who the farmer is, is my answer.

60 Meeting House Rd, Douglassville, PA 19518 to Magic Hill Farm - Google Maps

#18 ·
I did a GIS property search for you and found the owners' name and address, if you would like it, I can PM you. There is no phone listed but they may be in the phone book, I haven't checked.
Of where, the barn I listed in the map? If so, thank you, but I know who the owners are of that place. They are a quality barn that I could ride to, if I can't find someone else to come out to me. I'd just have to navigate that little section of main road. Thank you though.

How close are you to Cochranville, PA? Check out Schramm Equine, no clue if they would travel or not but I know they have some great youtube videos :)

Schramm Equestrian | Jimmie & Dom Schramm
They are about an hour from me. I will contact them, but I think it will be too much travel time for them.

What about renting a trailer 2x month to drive where ever you want to go?
There isn't anyone close to me who does that. I might be able to contact my old barn, and see if I can borrow one from them though twice a month. If I do it in their low traffic time, that might be possible.

Thanks Dancing, there's a PA version of that I am working my way through.

Good idea Wares, I can try that.

#14 · (Edited)
Shame you're not, well, in Scotland. That's what I do these days....schlep here, there, and everywhere giving people lessons and/or training their horses. Not as a long term sustainable thing ('cause it's not) but at least until some university gives me a real job.

Then again, I am not Boyd Martin. Not even in the same galaxy.

#23 ·
I believe there is some kind of the paper/website in PA similar to MD Equiery. At least I remember seeing one at the PA Expo. Meanwhile I'd look for recommendation at COTH. They have bunch of local people from MD, VA, and PA. Last year when I couldn't ride I found my exercise rider (eventing trainer living close by who travels, and who also now gives lessons to my neighbor) by recommendation from there.

Reactions: franknbeans
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.