The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Doberman bleeding from mouth--what to do? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/doberman-bleeding-mouth-what-do-18319/)

charroit 11-25-2008 10:44 PM

Doberman bleeding from mouth--what to do?

We came home tonight to find blood all over our couch, splatters on the pillows and red drool coming from our doberman. Is there a genitic problem in Dobies or is this something else? What could it be and how do we help her? Every night she has a real violent coughing. She also has a large tumor on her chest (which doesnt seem to bother her)

Any suggestions?

amy 11-25-2008 10:48 PM

Take the poor dear to the vet!!
:/

Johnswife 11-26-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy (Post 198003)
Take the poor dear to the vet!!
:/

I totally agree. It could be something simple like he cut his gums or lip on something and was shaking his head or it could be any of a number of serious things. Get that poor baby to the vet ASAP.

farmpony84 11-26-2008 11:38 AM

The tumor would worry me. You are looking at expensive x-rays and possible surgury...

Salty_alydaR 11-26-2008 03:32 PM

oh no! poor sweetie! yea, i'd go to the vet ASAP!

tell us how it all pans out!

charroit 11-26-2008 03:50 PM

Well she stopped bleeding today, and my mom says were going to have to tough it out until we get out of this bad economy. She's not in pain but it's killing me to watch this--Is there anything besides cut gums, missing teeth, that it might be? Anything at home we can try? She's running around the ranch just fine now but if the same thing comes up again what can we do/try?

Thank you,
Kendall

Gingerrrrr 11-26-2008 04:11 PM

uhm, no matter what i think she needs to go to the vet. just incase.

Joshie 11-26-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charroit (Post 198765)
Well she stopped bleeding today, and my mom says were going to have to tough it out until we get out of this bad economy. She's not in pain but it's killing me to watch this--Is there anything besides cut gums, missing teeth, that it might be? Anything at home we can try? She's running around the ranch just fine now but if the same thing comes up again what can we do/try?

Thank you,
Kendall

You need to take her to the vet. Minimally, call the vet. If you can't afford vet care you should see if your county has a free/low cost clinic.

charroit 11-26-2008 05:42 PM

Oh thats a great idea--thank you Joshie!

Johnswife 11-29-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshie (Post 198861)
You need to take her to the vet. Minimally, call the vet. If you can't afford vet care you should see if your county has a free/low cost clinic.

I definitely agree. Or call your vet and ask if they will accept payments. The tumor may just be a fatty tumor; I know it's common with some larger breeds and my rottie had one. They're no big deal and if they need to do surgery for something else they can usually take care of them at that time. But if it's not been checked it could be cancerous.

I've got another rottie now that has bone cancer. It's very invasive and spreads fast. The vet diagnosed him and gave him about 6 weeks. He's on medication now for the pain (it's in his leg and he limps when he walks) but the day will come that the leg will swell badly and the pain meds won't work anymore. Then we have no choice but to put him down.

If it turns out the mass in your dobie is cancer you need to know that. If you can't find a low cost / free clinic and your vet won't take payments, maybe you can find another group that will help? Perhaps a dobie rescue group? Even if you have to surrender your dog to get it the help it needs, it's better than it suffering. :cry: