The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique My Riding? (English) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-riding-english-183585/)

Almond Joy 04-27-2013 11:16 PM

Critique My Riding? (English)

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, I'm 15 and I've been riding for 10 months... Tear me apart! I have actually had only 9 months of consistent weekly lessons... I know my toe turns out way too much (A previous instructor encouraged it), and I need to lean back/ pull my shoulders back. I was wondering how I should change my jumping position so it looks like an actual jumping position and not like im just flopping around? I can do half seat fine on the ground, but when I get to the jump (half cavaletti) I feel that I get messed up. The timing feels right but when I look at the photos my whole upper body and arms are out of whack.

Thanks!

Fudgelove 05-08-2013 08:39 PM

in the first picture it looks like you need to sit more towards the front of your saddle which is an issue of mine as well and push you shoulders back and toes in like you said, your horse it soo cute btw

waresbear 05-08-2013 08:56 PM

Lots going on there, but best thing to remember is to relax your shoulders and stick your chest out, that will improve your position tremedously. I like how you are looking up in every picture, however in the two point, you are sticking your neck out and hunching your back, relax!

Nikkibella 05-18-2013 05:26 PM

Try sliding your hands up his neck when he lifts his front end off the ground , also try to stick your butt out and drop your chest a little, when his front end hits the ground use your abs to snap your upper body back up .

LOVE YOUR HORSE BTW
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 05-18-2013 07:37 PM

You probably have a build that sticks your toes out, but please, try to point them forward. You don't want to be cueing with the back of your calf.
You look new to riding. See if you can spend some time riding in just 2-point and riding without stirrups. You pull the buckle out and cross the stirrups in front of the pommel. Also, don't reach with your chin. Think WEIGHTED when you ride. Your horse is reaching to the cavaletti. Collect before you get there and make him pick up his feet.

MillieSantana 05-20-2013 04:51 PM

You don't deserve to ripped apart, you look awesome for a newbie! And correct me if I'm worng, but in the pics you look like a boy, so kudos to you!

Ok, like yolu said, you should pull you're shoulders back and sit up more, also, of course your toes. It also looks to me like you're hunching your back and leaning backwards over the jump. Try leaning a little more forward, letting your back relax a bit, and collecting your horse before the jump. Great job, you and your horse look cute togethor(sp?)!

Skyseternalangel 05-20-2013 06:02 PM

In the first photo you are near perfect for half seat (since you're in a jumping saddle..) except your arms are SO stiff and awkward.. relax! Use your abs to hold the reins and legs to push him into the bridle.

The other photos..... ummm....... ;-)

Just kidding...

The jumping photo I cannot comment on since I'm a newbie. Nothing looks dangerous or horrendous though.

The canter photo your position is pretty nice, but your elbows are SO ridgid... loosen up man!

The last photo looks nice except you are bracing in your stirrups pretty badly.

I know how hard it is to get rid of bad habits.. wish you the best.

Question though...why does he need a running martingale?

Almond Joy 05-21-2013 03:21 PM

Thanks everyone! I've had another lesson or two after this (Had to stop for a bit due to me being on the rowing team.) The next lesson we worked completely on my toes and it had helped a lot! We did the dollar bill tricks and everything and it helped a lot. The horse uses a training fork (Close to a running martingale) because when she doesn't have it on she needs to be very collected or she has a habit of bucking and hopping (And I'm not entirely ready for collection work yet). She also isn't my horse and is a lesson horse so I can do nothing about it, I only ride her for my half hour lesson each week. Also, I've needed to work on my looseness so good job picking up on that! She would get heavy on the bit a lot, causing my arms to tense but the next lesson we also worked on picking her up and not allowing her to pull along on her forehand entirely.

I will be returning to riding this week after having a near 3 week break and am very excited and will keep this in mind! I will include a few pictures from the lessons after this one.

Almond Joy 05-21-2013 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Turns out I don't have any "after" pictures aside from one that was on a fun w/t ride on one of the recovering ponies... Please excuse most of my position due to my muck boots/jeans and me not being used to riding ponies, especially after a two week break! I also made my stirrups too long but since it was a quick ride I didn't bother fixing them, and that gave me a bit of a chair seat... however my toes are in! It was even harder on a pony because then you REALLY can't use any heel, my feet were in the air!

tinyliny 05-21-2013 03:51 PM

It looks like that saddle is almos too small for you. your thigh bone would like a longer flapped saddle.
The horse's running martingale is so short that it is interfering, and forcing his head down and destroying the straight elbow to wrist to bit line from you to him.