The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Equine Courses in College (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/equine-courses-college-18363/)

BeauReba 11-26-2008 01:36 PM

Equine Courses in College

Has anyone ever gone to college to take an equine program? What did you take? Where did you go? Was it worth it? I'm starting in January to work with race horses. Finally after years of college and university I'm going to do something I really want to!

NicoleS11 11-26-2008 02:03 PM

i went to Old's college and took equine science and a breeding program. It was so much fun! we either got to bring our own horse or the ranch next to the college woudl let us use there horses and at the end of the year we put on an auction for all these horses so you had the chance to buy the horse you worked with all year. it was a great course! very happy i took it.

BeauReba 11-26-2008 02:06 PM

Awesome! I am going to Olds for my course too. I just moved here last month. I hope to get a job on a standardbred breeding farm when I'm done. It's only a 4 month course (racetrack groom training) and then next year I can take exercise rider if I want, and then I think they are starting a racetrack management course next year too. What are the barns like? Do you have any pictures? I'm psyched! I was told they expect a lot from you, which is fine with me!

NicoleS11 11-26-2008 02:44 PM

They do. There barns are very nice. you could work at the barns if you wanted to...so i did that which was nice. just cleaning stalls and stuff...which i dont mind doing cause you get to see all the horses. There barn is very nice though! clean! where did you move from?

simbakitten 11-26-2008 02:58 PM

wow that sounds great!, i never even thought you could do that. What kind of jobs does it qualify you for?

Kiara 11-26-2008 03:00 PM

I know that one community college here offers a degree in equine science and another one has just classes for it. Darn, I wish so much I could take them...

mayfieldk 11-26-2008 04:10 PM

I went to the university of Findlay for the western program, and it was the biggest rip off EVER.
That being said, I can't say anything for other colleges.

LadyDreamer 11-26-2008 05:57 PM

Midway College has a very well developed equestrian program.

Zab 11-26-2008 06:41 PM

Went to a high school for horse keeping.. 3 years and with maths, swedish, english etc, the normal subjects.
Plus things like horse keeping, horse theory, riding theory, anatomy, horse massage, riding (jumping/dressage), driving horses, driving tractors, chain saw lessons, training/breaking young horses, farrying (just enough to nail a lost shoe back) and so on.
I actually found the riding and driving rather useless; not because I was too good for it to start with, but because I didn't learn anything..at all. The teachers actually called me hopeless..>__>; And the things we learnt in the stables often contradicted the things we learnt in theory (like don't use hay-nets put up high, and give more hay/straw than grain etc). Only thing I realy learnt was that english riding really wasn't my thing, and then I got a bit depressed since what I had to learn and see was so much against my own opinions, and nobody agreed with me so I started wondering if there were something wrong with me. >_>;

But I also got several friends in the boarding and got to ride icelandic horses a whole lot on a barn outside the school and learn a lot from them, so the time there generally were really good.. even tho I still say the education was rather worthless x) The chain saw course was fun too but it was rather difficult to take exams in both ''breaking young horses'' and ''chain saw'' at the same day and hour.. -_-; they expected a bit too much there.. xD

Anyway, all of this is probably irrelevant since I lve in sweden :P

starlinestables 11-26-2008 06:52 PM

I went to Virginia Intermont College. They have one of the best equine science programs in the country. I went in as a knowledgable horse person and still learned ALOT. It is alot of hard work but you will get out of it what you put into it.

If you are still undecided at all about colleges, look at the IHSA website.. it will show you what each school does. I havn't heard of many who work with race horses though. Colorado State has a good program...

For the person who asked what you can do with an equine degree? You can teach ag, work for feed companies, breed/riding organizations (I worked for APHA and now I run my own farm), train horses, manage farms..Horse publications and product companies.. You can do just about anything too because now it doesn't matter as much what your degree is in.