The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Thrush... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/thrush-18364/)

VanillaBean 11-26-2008 01:48 PM

Thrush...

Sheena has had thrush for about 3weeks, we bought thrush buster. It helps, but it says it CURES in 1 application. We've put about 10 applications. I'm wondering why it's not going away. It ate a ''hole'' in her frog.

Hrt4Dressage 11-26-2008 02:20 PM

well you can try several things... there are different thrush applications with different Ph levels.
Also keep her out of the mud or wet bedding for a while. If possible, turn out in a dry place would be best to avoid the mud and bacteria getting back in there, if it's really bad.
Some people dont have luck with thrush buster, others do. Make sure before you do anything that you clean the area with a stiff brush to get the dirt out and expose the area, and even go as far as scrubbing it with a betadine soap or something to get it good and clean. Make sure you dry the foot before you apply anything to it. Keep her standing in cross ties for a few minutes to make sure it is dry, bc otherwise you just trap moisture in there which is exactly what thrush needs to grow.

Ive heard that making a sugardine solution works well... Mix Betadine (or a generic form) with white table sugar into a paste and apply it to the areas.

You can also try ointments from the pharmacy that are made to treat Athlete's Foot. Thrush is a yeast infection, as is Athlete's foot. You can also try monistat or anything made for a typical human yeast infection as well.

KANSAS_TWISTER 11-26-2008 02:29 PM

are you making sure that the stall is all the way clean at night?...pee spots dug up and every thing?, are you on shaving's or straw right now?...that's one of this biggest problems about thrush... standing in muck a long time either in a stall or out side....i've laways taken old tea bag's and vet wrapped them to the bootom of the hooves for about a day....loook's silly but it works, hey if my grandmother did it and it worked it's good for me...

BarneyBabby 11-26-2008 04:20 PM

Iodine and sugar helps. Bleach um.....make sure the stall is ALWAYS clean. Pee spots are the worst for thrush

mayfieldk 11-26-2008 05:25 PM

There's a perscription drug you can get from your vet--I've never seen it not work. I have some in the barn--I'll have to run out later and see what it's called off hand, but your vet might know. You put it on the actual hoof, no pills or anything. It is GREAT.

Hoofprints in the Sand 11-26-2008 08:52 PM

Mine has thrush in 3 of her hooves right now -- the previous owner I just got her from kept them in a pasture all the time and couldn't avoid the muddy wet conditions so she had it when I got her.

I've been using Kopertox and it seems to be working so far...but only been using it for a week, so I guess we'll see!

horsey*kisses 11-26-2008 09:26 PM

i've heard about using bleach but i havent gotten the chance to go out and see if it actually works on my horse, during the winter his thrush seems to dissapear to only a few spots that i just brush off with the pick then when spring rolls around ITS EVERYWHERE!!! lol

BeauReba 11-27-2008 12:36 AM

If yogurt helps people avoid yeast infections, will it help horses avoid thrush better too?

I've never heard of the tea bag idea... sounds neat! I wonder why it would work?

mayfieldk 11-27-2008 02:36 AM

Yogurt puts the good bacteria back into your body (to help fight yeast i suppose.) That's all yogurt really is--weird flavored bacteria. (yeah, try eating that now!!)

Tea bags are kind of like epson salt--they have a somewhat 'drawing' ability, but in my opinion they aren't going to help much with thrush.

BarneyBabby 11-27-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsey*kisses (Post 199072)
i've heard about using bleach but i havent gotten the chance to go out and see if it actually works on my horse, during the winter his thrush seems to dissapear to only a few spots that i just brush off with the pick then when spring rolls around ITS EVERYWHERE!!! lol

Bleach works. It helps kills all the bacteria.:lol: