The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Hunter girl taking dressage lessons (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/hunter-girl-taking-dressage-lessons-183641/)

Samstead 04-28-2013 02:25 AM

Hunter girl taking dressage lessons

well I'm going to take some dressage lessons hopefully starting Monday! I've always liked watching dressage and wondered what it'd be like to DO it and finally am! any tips for a hunter trying dressage?

tinyliny 04-28-2013 03:16 AM

Don't "look around your corners", like you would if you were jumping a course. Look no further into the circle than the inside ear of your horse.

Sit up straight, and bring your upper arm back so it's parallel to your torso, not sticking way out in front.

Don't worry so much about forcing your heels down.

Relax and have fun and take videos to share with us!

Samstead 04-29-2013 03:55 PM

anybody else? anyone?

Samstead 04-29-2013 08:45 PM

well I didn't get to take pictures, I didn't have enough time to check with the coach but I will next time.
anyway, SOOOOOO different from hunters! keeping your butt tucked under you and pinching your shoulders and the hands! confusing but apparently I got the hang of it after bit.

Samstead 05-13-2013 03:57 PM

second lesson today! they're pretty expensive and since it's out of my pocket and I make min. wage I think the maximum I'll be taking is about 5 but hey, at least I'll have tried it and maybe later when I have more money I'll take some more

commandolover 07-03-2013 06:36 PM

My hunter horse is also a dressage horse! She's the number one Hunter under Saddle horse in the state and also the number one First Level Dressage horse in the state. Just practice both all the time with different cues( my horses long and low hunter trot is a slight nudge, however, my up and down dressage trot is a lift of my hands and a push with my seat.) However, my horse is trained very well and is not a backyard horse. She is an AA circuit hunter that I show in the Large Juniors. Just always practice both. Don't frustrate you or your horse. Good luck! Dressage is a challenge but is oh so fun!
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 07-03-2013 06:43 PM

Isolate ALL of your body parts. Your best exercise is riding without stirrups for an hour at a time. Start with one full hour at the walk. I was rewatching some Ingrid Klimke videos and she has said that you can improve your horse's trot but NOT the walk, so you also want that walk to be the most relaxed and rythymic as possible.
If you can ride somebody else's NON-Dressage horse you can work on your reining and position without compromising your horse's frame.
REMEMBER, Dressage is gymnastic training developed for the war horse. The horse became an extension of the soldier and also the solder's primary weapon, such as the Courbette, jumping and kicking backwards, meant to kill the enemy with just the horse.
Although the airs above the ground are not shown (except by members of some of the old schools in Europe,) ALL of the elementary movements are the foundation for them, and should be trained and ridden and developed to be almost 2nd nature for the horse/rider combination. It is a true joy when you think it and you horse does it. That's how it was with "Corporal" (1982-2009, RIP) and me, and I really miss it.