The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Weak Body (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/weak-body-183801/)

Little Jane 04-28-2013 03:25 PM

Weak Body

I'm just very discouraged, I guess. I've had trouble on and off with different physical things, but in December of 2011, my body really went downhill. I quite suddenly lost most of the use of my left wrist/fingers and had to stop riding for several months. Just last summer, I took a tumble off my mare and somewhat dislocated my ribs as well as bruising my lung. I've always been a little weak physically, but it's become progressively worse since 2011, and I'm just horribly discouraged. I was feeling a little under the weather on Thursday and Friday, then I worked my horse on Friday, and I thought I was going to fall to pieces! My back hurts, my elbow hurts, and I'm just plain weak. My mom's going to take me to the doctor soon, and hopefully that will bring some answers ... I'm only 17, I shouldn't have problems, right?!?! :cry: Am I the only young person struggling with a weak body? Are there any things I can be doing to strengthen my back, and to prevent overwhelming my muscles when I ride/lunge?

tinyliny 04-28-2013 03:37 PM

I am so sorry you are struggling with this at such a young age. I can imagine that must be very discouraging. I will hope to hear what you can share with us from your doctor visit. Good luck.

Bagheera 04-28-2013 06:30 PM

Have you talked to your doctor about swimming laps? I'm pretty weak through my core and have had several serious injuries over the years that have kept me from impact related exercises. Swimming has zero impact and is a full body workout. It could be a really good option for you.

Little Jane 04-28-2013 06:50 PM

tinyliny: Thank you, I will be sure to update when we go (no appointment yet).

Bagheera: Thank you for your suggestion! I have participated in summer swim team before, though that usually resulted in unpleasant lung/throat burning (I have either vocal chord spasms or mild exercise-induced asthma which makes competitive swimming mildly aversive) and always left me with no energy for the rest of the day, but I have never tried swimming laps on my own time. I will definitely talk to the doctor about that: maybe not being pushed to go fast will relieve the trouble with my lungs/throat and not kill my energy level.

aforred 04-28-2013 09:06 PM

Talk to your doctor about it, and ask if a consult with a physical therapist would benefit you.

I'm sorry you're going through all this.

Saddlebag 04-28-2013 10:46 PM

You may want to consider body building with a trainer who will teach you how to use the equipment correctly. The weight rooms have all kinds of equipment to help you build strength. The great thing is you will learn to challenge yourself to do one more repetition or lift a few more pounds. You do need to work out 3 to 4 days weekly with breaks in between to rest the muscles but not 3 days in a row. At first it feels like no progress then suddenly you can do more - it goes in plateaus.

Skyseternalangel 04-28-2013 10:48 PM

What is your diet like?

Little Jane 04-29-2013 10:31 AM

Diet is mostly unprocessed foods. Breakfast is often toast (homemade bread or purchased from a small bakery here in town that uses all-natural ingredients) or an egg, or fresh fruit, or a hot cereal like oatmeal. Lunches can range from leftovers to soup to eggs to a Larabar or a Cliff bar, depending on how busy the day is and where we're going. I often have a snack around 4 consisting of toast or fruit. Supper is usually either a typical meat-and-potatoes-and-veggies or soup or Indian or any other such concoction my mom whips up. We do eat fast food, but maybe once a week at most, and then it's Taco Johns, Runza, or Wendy's. I get salads a lot, or burritos, etc. Try to stay away from greasy as it makes me sick. If we go out to eat other than that, it's Indian food or Thai, then maybe on occasion we go to Panera. I know I could be eating healthier . . . I do love a good dessert! And carbs are pretty darn tasty, too!

I will definitely talk to the doctor (still no appointment!) about what I can be doing to strengthen without losing the use of my left arm again. I have to be careful what I do because of these wimpy little tendons and nerves in my arms, and now I'm kinda paranoid because I don't want to lose months of riding and piano playing and typing again!

Skyseternalangel 04-29-2013 04:23 PM

It sounds like you aren't getting all fo your nutrients. Do you take vitamins at all?

Little Jane 04-29-2013 04:47 PM

May I ask what you feel like I'm missing?

I have recently started taking vitamins, but haven't in the past.