The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Competitive Trail Riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/competitive-trail-riding-183817/)

prairiewindlady 04-28-2013 05:42 PM

Competitive Trail Riding?

I have several horses that are in pretty good shape but probably not capable of endurance (due to age, old injuries, etc). So I have been looking around for a competitive trail riding organization/group that hosts shorter rides (preferably around ~15 miles?) I have looked into ACTHA, but their rides look a little slow to me (ACTHA people feel free to chime in here. I'm not opposed to walking but I like to move out when the occasion presents itself!) There are several local hunt clubs that host timed trail rides/hunter paces and I really like the idea of those but they are very local/small scale and the rules/levels are all over the place (it would be nice if they had a national/regional organization promoting these!) I have been doing a bit of reading about NATRC too but their distances seem a little longer than what I'm looking for and they have too many rules for my taste. Anyone have any advice for me? What do you suggest I try/do?

Deej 05-11-2013 10:58 AM

Hey Prairie Wind...
Good morning from West Central Wisconsin..... Check out the "Long Riders Guild" It is my goal to ride 1000 miles at some point in my life time.... I like the concept of going as far or as short a ride as you want to go in any given day, week, month or year.... I ride alone which makes things so much easier on me and my horse. Although I would enjoy a riding partner, It seems no one I know has the "Distance Passion" that I do... Anyway, check them out. I don't have the link off hand but you can search them on line. Good Luck and let me know what you find..... Deej

franknbeans 05-11-2013 11:05 AM

What about Trail Trials? THey are fun. Not long rides at all, but obstacles to go through/deal with, and you get scored on them. Typically how the horse approaches, deals with it and moves on. I always find it interesting to expose my guy to new stuff......just makes a better trail horse in the long run. I am doing one June 1st.......and it has been a while, so may be interesting!

Deej 05-11-2013 12:50 PM

Now that sounds like fun, Frank-N-Beans!!! I think I will go look that up! Thanks...

Painted Horse 05-13-2013 12:20 AM

You probably should see what is in your area.

I enjoy NATRC. If the open class is too long or fast. Just ride in the Novice class. Shorter distances and slower pace.

But it's no fun to compete in NATRC if all of their rides are a 8 hour haul away from you.

See what organization does rides in your part of the country.

Joe4d 05-13-2013 04:23 PM

To many rules for CTR,
ACTHA to slow,

your basically describing that you want to do AERC LD's , just admit it, you know you do, come back to the fold. if a horse is fit for a quick 15 seems like he could turtle an LD. You are smack dab in the middle of quite a few AERC rides.