The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Fish peeps! I need your opinions... (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/fish-peeps-i-need-your-opinions-183833/)

DraftyAiresMum 04-28-2013 04:50 PM

Fish peeps! I need your opinions...

Ok. So I have a 75gal tank I'm going to be setting up soon. My problem is stocking it. I have a few fish that I really want, but I want people's opinions on how well they'd work together.

I know I want a pair of silver zebra angels. Those are non-negotiable. But I also want tiger barbs (regular ones, not green or albino). I know most people would run away screaming from that combination, however I've had success keeping tiger barbs with an opaline gourami by starting out with tiny tiger barbs (about 1/2" long...got them at Petco, who seems to carry them small). So I was thinking of getting all the rest of my stock, including the angels, then adding the tiger barbs (10-15 of them) very last.

What are your thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 04-30-2013 09:49 PM

Bumpity-bump-bump-bump. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 04-30-2013 10:05 PM

The barbs will tear the fins off the angels-- gourami- we had 2 and they fought but just 1 is nice to others.. tetras are okay with angels..they look like barbs, but barbs are mean.. the hubby said his barbs killed themselves.. tetras come in all colors- we have yellow, red, and black skirts, lol. Oh get a loach! They are so cool!

DraftyAiresMum 04-30-2013 10:25 PM

I know not to put more than one gourami in a tank, unless they're pearl or honey gouramis, which can be kept in trios.

There aren't really any tetras that look like tiger barbs except black skirt tetras and they're notorious fin-nippers (almost as bad as tiger barbs).

As for loaches, I don't have a big enough tank for clown loaches (which is what everyone thinks of when they think of loaches). I might do a school of yoyo loaches, if I can find them. I'm not sure yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 04-30-2013 10:30 PM

I'd look into another schooling fish myself, possibly danio's or rainbows.
Posted via Mobile Device

Allison Finch 04-30-2013 10:38 PM

I love tetras. They have great colors and they school so nicely.

DraftyAiresMum 04-30-2013 10:38 PM

I hate danios, unless they're leopard danios (which have become difficult to find...at least in my area). Lol

As for rainbows...threadfins are a maybe, if I can find them.

Part of the problem is that there are only three places to get fish in my area and two of them are box stores (Petco and Petsmart), which don't have very diverse stock.

I can't wait until we get our own house. Then we'll have space for more tanks (poo on what the BF says!) and I can get another 46gal bowfront. I had one set up before I moved time before last, and it was epic. Black sand, black background, skull decorations, driftwood, a rainbow rock, and live plants. I'd love to do the same thing in a 72gal bowfront.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 04-30-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 2395762)
I love tetras. They have great colors and they school so nicely.

This was my original stock list for this 75gal.

2 angels
8 cardinal tetras
8 red minor serpae tetras
8 threadfin rainbows
8 sterbae cories
2 bristlenose plecos
1 featherfin catfish

I'm debating adding four yoyo loaches to that, but I'm undecided.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 04-30-2013 10:46 PM

You aren't stuck with the crappy selection at the box stores. Actually I rarely buy from them. There's a whole nother world of fish out there on the web. I've bought from private collectors and breeders, as well as online.
As for my favorite online stock suppliers, I like live aquaria and the fish place. I've gotten F0 and F1 from both. Salt and freshwater.
There's so many more options in species going that way. And buying F0 is my favorite thing to do!
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 04-30-2013 10:48 PM

We have black skirt tetras and they dont nip fins- theyre the friendliest, lol. :-P

our yoyo loaches will mess with other fish but they like to 'clean' them theyre not mean or anything.

Serpae tetra kinda look like tigers.. kinda.. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNSz...rpae+tetra.jpg