The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   founder worries? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/founder-worries-18384/)

farmpony84 11-26-2008 05:44 PM

founder worries?

2 Attachment(s)
Style has put on a ton of weight and I personally thinks she's super cute this way... She's not too fat though right? I would prefer to keep her closer to this weight then thinner... but I'd say she's put on 75 lbs since I got her......

FGRanch 11-26-2008 05:59 PM

No she is not that bad, my horses get much fatter than that in the winter. Just ask your farrier to watch for founder, how old is she?

BTW who is the horse in your avatar? Very cute!

farmpony84 11-26-2008 07:02 PM

She's 10 and she's 13.1 hands...

That's Blue in my avatar (back when he was about 4 years old and much, much darker! and thinner....)

FGRanch 11-26-2008 09:28 PM

Yeah she shouldn't founder? What are you feeding her?

Isn't Blue the really old guy?

SonnyWimps 11-26-2008 11:06 PM

FP, she is soooo cute!!! Can I have her? hehe

brittany 11-26-2008 11:13 PM

She has a beautiful build, she's gorgeous!!! :D

WildFeathers 11-26-2008 11:40 PM

I don't like too much extra weight on a horse, but in my opinion she's ok, only because it's winter. I myself wouldn't keep her at this weight all year round. I would talk to your vet about weight and feeding and founder. I've seen founder, from mild to severe, and it's a sad, sad thing.

Just remember, when you're thinking of how cute she'll look if she gains a few more pounds, that being overweight is bad for horses' health just like it is for humans.

BeauReba 11-27-2008 12:12 AM

I think she's a tad overweight, but for winter it shouldn't be too bad. Does she have a dip along her spine (fat build up on either side)? Is her dock fatty, almost spongy like? Those are signs of an overweight horse. So you think a few extra pounds won't hurt her (or yourself if you're overweight!) Carry a 15lb weight (backpack for example) for a day. When you take it off you'll realize how much of a difference there is! You feel much better without the extra weight :).

jazzyrider 11-27-2008 07:39 AM

she looks ok right now but i would be extra careful. she is more chunky on the front end than the back end, or so it appears. i just wouldnt let her get too much fatter ;)

farmpony84 11-27-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch (Post 199075)
Yeah she shouldn't founder? What are you feeding her?

Isn't Blue the really old guy?

I'm feeding her country acres, it's a 10% sweet feed and orchard grass hay. We don't ride her... ever... she's barely green broke... I geuss she's a lawn ornament....

Blue is going to be 11 this year, Black is the old guy... he'll be 30.