The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Any idea's? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/any-ideas-183921/)

LeynaProof 04-28-2013 07:05 PM

Any idea's?

I recently bought a 5 yo gelding that had been severely abused when he was younger and he has been passed around from place to place. I was looking for a back up endurance horse. As i have had him more people have come forward and offered up more of his past and this horse has not had a chance in life. I can't tell you how many people told me he is crazy and wild. Well he is not wild and crazy, he is scared. He has never had a reason to trust in the human race. I
have been working with him and he is now good for the farrier and lets me
worm him now. He has come a long way. The people i got him from were riding him and said he was doing really good. They were just working on him because he will bolt when you get on. Well it's worse than that, when i go to put my foot in the stirrup he shies away like i am going to kick him and i think the reason he bolts is because all of a sudden someone is on his back. I have been working with him and he is no longer freaking out when i put my foot in the stirrup and i can jump up and down and he stands still. I have done all the ground work with him and he does really well with that. I have just been thinking of different exercises i can do with him dor mounting.

Just to clarify, i am not some novice that don't know what i am doing. I am not one of those people where you look to at them with a horse and think to yourself that girl does not need a horse. Haha. I just figured it would be nice to here what everyone else would do? Do you have an exercise you would do?

Thank you for reading. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

rookie 04-28-2013 07:13 PM

First, congrats it sounds like he has made progress. What may help is having someone hold him while you mount. I have a gelding that I was told "had to be lunged or he would bolt when I got on him". I found that if I got on him and asked him stand still he was ants in his pants and would rear a little. So, I don't recommend that necessarily. What did work for me was to figure out that he got hot because according to him people go on him and ran the living tar out of him so clearly when people were on his back he was supposed to run around. It blew his mind to be saddled and just stand there. It really blew his mind when I saddled him, mounted up and then immediately got off.

So, what I would say is have someone hold him and then you ease yourself into the saddle, sit there for 5 seconds and then slide right off and he is done for the day. You could also do some ground tying. You could try putting something heavy on the saddle but its not going to be the same as a real live human.

LeynaProof 04-28-2013 07:18 PM

I did try getting on with someone holding him, but it makes him even more nervous. I guess he feels like he is being closed in? But he seems to do better if it is just him and me. One on one. And i have not even tried to ride him besides the first time when i realized he needed to go back to the basics. I really appreciate the idea though, if you have anymore i will gladly hear them. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

greentree 04-28-2013 07:29 PM

Flap that stirrup until he stands still and ignores it. Then, jump up and down until he ignores it. Then put your foot in and out of the stirrup until he ignores it. Then jump up and down with your foot in the stirrup until he ignores it. etc, etc, etc. And don't make excuses for his past, but start like he knows nothing, because he knows how you feel.

Good Luck with Lucy's twin brother!!

Nancy

LeynaProof 04-28-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 2375409)
Flap that stirrup until he stands still and ignores it. Then, jump up and down until he ignores it. Then put your foot in and out of the stirrup until he ignores it. Then jump up and down with your foot in the stirrup until he ignores it. etc, etc, etc. And don't make excuses for his past, but start like he knows nothing, because he knows how you feel.

Good Luck with Lucy's twin brother!!
Nancy

Posted via Mobile Device

That is one thing i don't do is make excuses for him. I realize it is time for him to move past it. I have gotten him to where he is not worried about me while my foot is in the stirrip jumping around like a crazy person! Haha! I just don't think he is ready for mean to get on. I am going to give him some more time doing what im doing. And thanks for the luck! You should post a picture of Lucy!

wausuaw 04-28-2013 07:53 PM

What I would do-

I would make sure he can flex well to his sides, and stands still for that. Then I would go ahead and flex him, then "pretend" to mount him (while keeping his head flexed toward you) at whatever point he begins figeting/moving around, etc- I would jsut let him and fallow him around (as much as possible, depending on your position) until he quits moving. As soon as he stands still, quick completely and give him a rest for a few minutes. Then start over. (Depending on how bad he is, and how much time you have, may want to spread it out). The first few times you get completely on him without him moving an inch- I would just let him stand there and then get completely off and do something else.

If you keep his nose tucked toward you, he won't really be able to go anywhere.

The main challenge would be patience. 1) it's easy to hurry them and 2) they can (and will) make you think they can twirl around in circles forever. MOST horses get the idea quickly. On my horse, I make sure I can get on and off my horse from either side I choose (at a minimum, I also do random things- such as sliding off/on her butt and such that I can imagine stupid people trying- so that she is prepared to deal with them better than I do :) )

LeynaProof 04-28-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wausuaw (Post 2375665)
What I would do-

I would make sure he can flex well to his sides, and stands still for that. Then I would go ahead and flex him, then "pretend" to mount him (while keeping his head flexed toward you) at whatever point he begins figeting/moving around, etc- I would jsut let him and fallow him around (as much as possible, depending on your position) until he quits moving. As soon as he stands still, quick completely and give him a rest for a few minutes. Then start over. (Depending on how bad he is, and how much time you have, may want to spread it out). The first few times you get completely on him without him moving an inch- I would just let him stand there and then get completely off and do something else.

If you keep his nose tucked toward you, he won't really be able to go anywhere.

The main challenge would be patience. 1) it's easy to hurry them and 2) they can (and will) make you think they can twirl around in circles forever. MOST horses get the idea quickly. On my horse, I make sure I can get on and off my horse from either side I choose (at a minimum, I also do random things- such as sliding off/on her butt and such that I can imagine stupid people trying- so that she is prepared to deal with them better than I do :) )

Thanks for the ideas!
Posted via Mobile Device

LeynaProof 04-28-2013 07:58 PM

Actually, thanks to all of y'all for the ideas! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thunderspark 04-30-2013 02:02 AM

I would bend his head in towards you when you go to mount. Put your foot in the stirrup and stand straight up in the stirrup, lay over the saddle, moving your hands/legs back/forth, rubbing with your hands.
There is a method called I think the Jeffries method, Clinton Anderson calls it the human curry comb which is good to quiet a horse and make them stand still for mounting.

Saskia 04-30-2013 08:33 AM

To get my horse ready I would stand on a reasonably high chair next to them, waving my arms all around her back, in and out of her eye sight, touching her all over the rump and back. I'd lean on her all the time and then just rest my weight and slide off (bareback is easier). When she completely unfazed I eventually got on - and then got right off again. Worked my way to longer rides. Certainly not the way the professionals would do it, but worked for me.