The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Running Martingale (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/running-martingale-1841/)

enzoleya 05-11-2007 11:43 PM

Running Martingale

I've been doing research on running martingales and I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures to explain how to use it and how it looks on a horse. I'm bidding on one from eBay and I'm confused as to how it works. We were told by the 4-H leader to try a running martingale rather than a tie down because of the difference in puling. So....Now were are buying one. A lady friend of ours who trains her own horses says she can make one, but we would rather buy one, we think.... Any help is totally welcomed.

Oh, and we are getting a running martingale for our horse that was trained on one. She hasn't had one on her in over a year so we want to refresh her mind. She has a terrible habbit of bucking when we lope her, especially if we don't use the tie down. We have had her checked out and even have a goat fur cinch on her because of possible allergies. We're thinking its a bad habbit because if we lope her a couple times she's fine and won't do it anymore.

JoannaG 05-12-2007 12:52 AM

running martingales are designed to stop your horse from throwing its head up and having it up while jumping.
they are NOT to get you horse on the bit! i cant stress that enough!
RM's only come into action when the horses head goes higher than your hands, it applys pressure, and when your horses head goes down again, it stops.

Kyani 05-15-2007 03:12 PM

They're much better than standing martingales (I think what you call tie-downs). Standings are used for stuff like gymkana games and horseball (I have a feelign they are mandatory for horseball, actually) for obvious reasons, but I wouldn't use them otherwise. For a start it is completely unsafe to jump in them, which is why they are banned from official jumping competitions.

Yeah...so basically, the reins are run through two rings, which are then attached to the girth, making it harder for the horse to throw its head high when and only WHEN the rider exerts enough force on the reins. This allows the horse the ability to recover itself in a dangerous situation and near fall, as for many things they need to either raise their head up or stretch out to regain balance or to jump - standing martingales do not allow this.

savepitbulls 05-15-2007 08:47 PM

A running martingale isn't going to help keep your horse from bucking. Personally, from wht you've described, I wouldn't even use one on her. Sound's like she needs to be worked out of the bucking habit. How old is she? Do you lunge her before you ride her? She just might feel the need to work out some kinks.

Eventer Gal 05-20-2007 07:24 PM

Running Martingals

I brought one not long ago-they are crap! You are more than better off buying a breast plate and rings, becuase unlike martingals they stay one lenghth.

i HAVE HAD BAD EXPIRENCES WITH THEM!!