The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   How Do You Cut Rubber Mat? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/how-do-you-cut-rubber-mat-18447/)

CrufflerSteve 11-27-2008 07:20 PM

How Do You Cut Rubber Mat?

I'm fixing up our 3rd stall for my mother-in-law's horse. I've cleaned it out and have the fill almost done.

I'm planning to use the heavy rubber mats that came in our other stalls. I'll be buying them tomorrow when our local Murdoch's has a big sale. Those things are heavy!

There's no way to get an exact fit since the stall is a bit under 14' by 14'. How do people cut these? I'm thinking that the very heavy rubber would kill any saws. I might try a carpet cutting razor knife with lots of spare blades.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I burned off a lot of calries earlier moving and tamping fill for the stall.

Steve

PaintHorseMares 11-27-2008 08:26 PM

I use a razor knife as you mentioned. Once you get one side scored, you can bend it and cut the rest of the way through.

bgood400 11-27-2008 08:45 PM

we cut ours with like an electric saw thing.

Eagle eye 1 11-28-2008 11:57 PM

Would a sawzall do the trick. I have an assortment of blades so you can try a course blade or a metal cutting blade. I would think something made for wood (a course blade) would work the best.

Let me know who it works. I need to add stalls in the spring.

Eagle Eye 1

.A.j. 11-29-2008 10:45 AM

We used a chain saw and then sanded the edges.

county 11-29-2008 03:34 PM

I use a Sawzall with a plywood blade.

Angel_Leaguer 12-01-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by county (Post 200713)
I use a Sawzall with a plywood blade.

thats what my dad did when i wanted mats in my trailer... it stinks somthing bad though

steph81285 12-13-2008 02:02 AM

We used a box knife to cut ours

safire 05-01-2010 01:35 PM

Hi we cut rubber all the time with a cnc water jet profiling machine, it uses high pressure water and abrasives to waterjet cut through virtually any material.
Rubber can be cut into intricate shapes to high precision.
In your case the mat could be cut like a jigsaw puzzle making it easier to handle and install.
This could also be handy for you because once you have had the first set, when it needs replacing you could make a repeat order.
It is not a cheap as do it yourself methods but it is a professional way to cut rubber. have a look at: www.safirewaterjet.co.uk to see samples of cut parts.

safire
www.Safire.uk.com