The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   worst falls (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/worst-falls-184514/)

lasso 04-29-2013 06:02 PM

worst falls

so whats your worst fall in your riding career

TBforever 04-29-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasso (Post 2383514)
so whats your worst fall in your riding career

first time jumping which was never taught, while at pony club, i didnt know how to do 2 point posistion, and choco hadnt jumped in 2 yrs, so we trotted to jump he sped up he over jumped jump and i went to 2 point posistion but sat back down to early and his butt pushed me on to his neck, my right foot came out of stirup while left one was still in holding me on his neck up near his ears he was getting faster as hes ottb, my left foot slipped out andi fell to ground, he tried so hard not to step on me, and i ended up with just a hoof scrape LOL

other day i was getting on miover i was already in upset mood from an argument, and i swung my leg over him to get on and went straight off the other side, with my stirup, miover just stood there grazing LOL

JaneyWaney9 04-29-2013 08:11 PM

To date, my worst fall was just a month or so after buying my first horse (I was 12). It was a REALLY nice autumn day, and I decided to take Comet for a trail ride. I didn't have any experience in trail riding, much less going by myself, but being a stupid 12 year old, off I went. The roads by the barn are unpaved, so I was riding on those. There is only one road that is fairly heavily travelled, and that's about a 1/3 mile away from the barn. So I was riding him along, we carefully crossed that road, and we went on for about a quarter mile down that road. Comet decided there was a flesh-eating monster in the trees, and he whipped around and took off in a full out gallop. I didn't think fast enough to pull him into a one-rein stop, so I just tried to stay on. I then realized that the busy road was coming up, and I knew that Comet would have a better chance of making it if I didn't try to help him. I tried to do an emergency dismount, but I somehow managed to land in front of his feet. I was trampled, and he kicked my elbow, stepped on my head, and tore up my back pretty good. From what I remember, I was a bit dazed at first, but then realized, crap, where is the horse (he was gone, no where to be seen). It was the worst feeling in the world coming up over that hill, because I was terrified I would see Comet laying dead or severely injured after being hit by a car.
Luckily he wasn't there, but I had no idea where the freaking horse was! I was basically going on adrenaline, but I ran back to the barn and he was just chilling near the front, eating his grass. I ended up passing out again and needing to go to the ER, but had no broken bones amazingly enough. Was let out the next day.
Needless to say, I have gained A LOT more common sense, and will never live down how stupid and irresponsible that was. But Comet is safe, and happy.

TBforever 04-29-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneyWaney9 (Post 2385194)
To date, my worst fall was just a month or so after buying my first horse (I was 12). It was a REALLY nice autumn day, and I decided to take Comet for a trail ride. I didn't have any experience in trail riding, much less going by myself, but being a stupid 12 year old, off I went. The roads by the barn are unpaved, so I was riding on those. There is only one road that is fairly heavily travelled, and that's about a 1/3 mile away from the barn. So I was riding him along, we carefully crossed that road, and we went on for about a quarter mile down that road. Comet decided there was a flesh-eating monster in the trees, and he whipped around and took off in a full out gallop. I didn't think fast enough to pull him into a one-rein stop, so I just tried to stay on. I then realized that the busy road was coming up, and I knew that Comet would have a better chance of making it if I didn't try to help him. I tried to do an emergency dismount, but I somehow managed to land in front of his feet. I was trampled, and he kicked my elbow, stepped on my head, and tore up my back pretty good. From what I remember, I was a bit dazed at first, but then realized, crap, where is the horse (he was gone, no where to be seen). It was the worst feeling in the world coming up over that hill, because I was terrified I would see Comet laying dead or severely injured after being hit by a car.
Luckily he wasn't there, but I had no idea where the freaking horse was! I was basically going on adrenaline, but I ran back to the barn and he was just chilling near the front, eating his grass. I ended up passing out again and needing to go to the ER, but had no broken bones amazingly enough. Was let out the next day.
Needless to say, I have gained A LOT more common sense, and will never live down how stupid and irresponsible that was. But Comet is safe, and happy.

did u wonder what he would of done if u stayed on, do u think he would of gone to the barn even if u were on him?

aforred 04-29-2013 08:18 PM

My worst fall would be when my barrel horse fell on me. We were going to the first, but I wasn't doing my job, and he didn't see it until we were almost past it. He tried to turn it, and down we went. We were both okay, though. I just had a little swelling in my ankle. Thankfully, I got my foot out of the stirrup before he landed on me.

Now, my funniest fall was when my sister was being "helpful" by giving me a leg up on a bareback horse. She just kept pushing until I landed on the other side, LOL.

CowboyBob 04-29-2013 08:47 PM

Worst fall?? I have so many, the two that stand out to me are. Arrow this roan mare was a "little" barn sour and when getting on she would turn and try to get back under the lean-to. She got to where the staff couldn't get her out, so it falls to the boss to fix. So I lead her out and went to step aboard as I was getting on she spun back to the gate to go back to the lean-to. My butt hit the saddle my leg reached up to block her turn at the shoulder and BAMB!!! her head went down her butt came up and she came un-corked. I have been on a few bucking horses but she really was giving it all she had. I only had one foot in a stirrup and was starting to look for a place to bail. She got up close to the fence and I reached back to grab the fence. I didn't make it she spun away and left me in a very POOR possistion so I just let go and hit the ground. The problem was when I hit the ground (not on my feet) she was facing away from the gate she wanted to go in. So when she spun around to head for the gate she spun right over me and we got all tangled up she step on and kick me a few times before she left and headed for the gate. She wasn't only on me for no more then a few seconds, but it felt like she spent 20 minutes dancing on me before she got off me.
The fun part of bad falls is laying there making sure nothing is broken and knowing "I got to get up and get back on".

The other was all my fault. I was moving our heard out to pasture one spring, and I always like training new horses to heard and get them us to the other horses running and the horse I am riding having to still pay attention to me. So I was riding a horse that hadn't been riden for hearding before (mistake one). when saddleing up I didn't tighten my cinch as tight as I should have (hind site mistake two). So as the heard left the pin they had been in they weren't going the right way so I tryed to head them (mistake three). At some piont in the prosses I realized my horse was no longer running were I wanted him to, he was just running with the heard. So at a dead run (mistake four) I tryed to stop nothing, so I pulled his head away from the heard, he turned and when he turned I put my foot hard into one stirrup and my saddle went right under and I hit the ground flat on my back. To add to the pain, the horse ran off with all the other horses with my saddle hanging under his belly ripping a fender, ripped on my saddle strings. I ended up with this big bruse on my back.
These, are the worst so far. I try to fall off at least once or twice a year it seems to keep them smaller, when I go a year or two with out falling I start to get worried.

This has gotten me thinking about "all" my falls, I am still riding and alive?! maybe as I get older I will learn.

Saskia 04-30-2013 12:12 AM

My worst fall was about two years ago. I'd bought a young standardbred who wasn't broken yet, so a person where I was agisting offered me a horse to ride. The horse was well broke and had been worked consistently for a month or two so I thought she sounded great. The owner/trainer rode her first and she was well behaved. She was a little nervous around me but I thought she would be fine. I went to mount up when she was calm, and just settling on her back, leg not quite over yet and off she took bucking, I didn't last long and she bolted off. Broke my arm and cracked my spine :-(

That all healed, but I lost my confidence and never got it back. Swore I would never ride again. Now I got a horse and have ridden others, but I am nowhere near as brave or ready to ride strange horses.

I've fallen off many times before, mostly as a kid, but never has it crippled my confidence like this.

Misty'sGirl 04-30-2013 04:34 AM

Trotting over poles and my mare bolted into a gallop - I lost my stirrup and somehow went over her head. Shattered my collarbone and needed surgery to put it back together.

Funny how something as simple as trotting over poles could've turned out like that, but proof that horses are always unpredictable and we should always do our best to stay safe.

teresa60 04-30-2013 09:19 AM

Well mine was just 2.5months ago. The horse I was on saw a huge blue octopuss (blue tarp on the ground) spooked and i fell .I broke 3 ribs bruised face and shoulder and had 2 have a plate put in my wrist it was broke really bad. i am just now able 2 start using my wrist with a lot of pain ,I will not let that stop me with my new horse.

AnalisaParalyzer 04-30-2013 11:50 AM

mine wasnt exactly a fall, but it still hurts.

when i was 14, i was cantering along the rail on my pony, who was a fence hugger. At one spot in our arena, the posts were on the inside. he was hugging the rail, we came around the corner and BAM. my knee smacks into the post, splits in three pieces and flop, goes i right out of the saddle. surgery and six months recovery, i still need to ride in a brace, and soak my knee almost twice a week. I have constant issues with a tendon that didnt settle right, so even the tiniest kick or bump on the right side sets me on mah bootay.

not a fall, but it hurt more than any other fall ive ever had.