The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   horse that hates grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/horse-hates-grooming-18457/)

Ottakee 11-27-2008 09:16 PM

horse that hates grooming

Does anyone else have a horse that really dislikes being brushed? My 15 year old QH gelding just does NOT like it. He tolerates it but puts his ears back (not really pinned but back), doesn't really relax, etc. He pickes up his feet OK but doesn't seem to enjoy the grooming like other horses I have seen.

Any ideas? He is also very twitchy when you touch him. He is great under saddle though.

Bitless 11-27-2008 11:10 PM

purhaps you are doing it to soft in which case you would be just annoying him.

What brush do you use on him? maby try a different one with firmer bristles.

or you may be doing it to hard, in which case try a softer brush.

some horses can be more sensative to the touch that others.
Like how some people are more ticklelish than others.

Jubilee Rose 11-27-2008 11:19 PM

It seems pretty rare to me to hear of a horse who doesn't like to be brushed. Every horse I've come in contact with seems to like it. Hmm ... :? Is he moody like this in general, or just when brushing?

BeauReba 11-28-2008 12:08 AM

Some horses are thin skinned or ticklish. Thoroughbreds in particular tend to be sensitive. Make sure you use light, gentle strokes. You might have to avoid using a curry come.

PaintHorseMares 11-28-2008 06:25 AM

I would try a different brush or pressure or perhaps a grooming mitt. I've seen a number of horses that seem to react to brushing on certain parts of their body just like they do to pesky flies, so perhaps your horse has that feeling on his skin.

Ottakee 11-28-2008 06:48 AM

He is great under saddle but moody in his stall (likely some past abuse type issues). The flies do drive him NUTS as well.

I will try some other brushes and see if I can find one that works better. He doesn't kick, etc. but just isn't happy with it. I generally do a quick job before riding.

He sees the chiropractor Wednesday so I will see what she says as well.

bama20a 11-28-2008 07:46 AM

Try to make it fun for him.Also you stated,CHIROPRACTOR,Why? he may have at one time been hurt & was discomfort with the grooming.
As others stated I'd try something diff- (brush -rag -mit),But the main thing is the fun & comfort for him.Try rubbing along his spine,between his rear legs,They can't reach there & most enjoy being rubbed there,Find his soft spot,they all have one & rub there.He will get where he will love it.

Got2Gallop 11-29-2008 03:46 AM

My filly loves to be groomed...........she gets all mellow and will stand stock still even if I don't have her tied. But a friend of mine has an Arab mare, thin skinned I guess ,that just gets grumpy as all get out if you use anything but a super soft brush on her, but she's a love any other time so it isn't just a nasty attitude or something. Some horses are just more sensitive than others, I can pull Lily's mane all day long, but the quarter gelding I had got mad when I pulled his .

TwendeHaraka 11-29-2008 10:31 AM

My TB hates to be groomed. He moves around a lot when I brush his neck and barrel. He doesn't mind my brushing his legs and hind end, and is fine with his feet. But he is so squirmy when he's being brushed on neck and barrel that I can't use a curry comb or hard brush unless mud is really caked on him. He's just thinned skinned... Not moody in the stall, in general. He's good under saddle... He just doesn't like to be groomed. I've seen several other TBs like this...

My2Geldings 11-29-2008 04:02 PM

Unless you've raised the horse yourself you can never be certain what a horse has gone thru. I would replace your brushes with extra soft ones and stick to those for a while. It might be he is ticklish but it might also be that a previous owner injured him or was really rough with him during groomings. If you give him time and exta gentle care, he shuold eventually realise how pleasant grooming can be.