The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   The Long Road (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/long-road-184690/)

tempest 04-29-2013 09:05 PM

The Long Road

Hey, how's everyone doing? Basically this is thread that's going to be following the various workouts I'll be doing this summer. I'll be posting the workouts after I complete them and if I motivate some of my viewers to also try their hand at these workouts, then that's awesome! Good for you. Just remember that these workouts are tailored to my specific areas of work and for my physical fitness level. And males, because I'm a female my running times are going to be slower than the ones you would want as your goal.

So, my goal is that by the end of this summer I'll have dropped my 3 mile run time down to a consistent 21 minutes. I also am looking to increase my upper body strength in preparation for certain training I will be doing in the summer of 2014. So I'll definitely need to get at least 8 pull-ups but my personal goal is 20. I was at 6 pull-ups but I stopped doing them for a few days and lo and behold, I am back down to a struggling 3 pull-ups. So word to the wise, once you start a workout, don't stop, even for a day, you'll regret it later. So the goal for this summer is endurance and upper body strength.

Another word to the wise is what you put into your body is what you'll get out of it. So if you put junk food and lots of bad carbs into your body, your body isn't going to perform as well as it could and you won't see the results your looking for compared to if you were to eat healthy food, lots of protein, fruits and vegetables, and very few carbs if possible. Also, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! This can never be stressed enough. You need to make sure you're hydrated otherwise you could pass out or die...Neither of which would be fun.

Along with my workouts being posted, I'll also be keeping a log of how much distance I cover throughout the week and what food I eat, along with the nutrition facts. I will also explain why certain workouts are necessary or why I have a specified rest day. If you have questions feel free to ask me and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

tempest 04-29-2013 09:06 PM

29Apr2013

Monday:

1/2 mile warm up jog
6x400 meter sprints @ 1:50 with 1:50 rest in between sets
1/2 mile cool down jog
75 Crunches

Total distance traveled today = 2.5 miles

Going into today's workout I was thinking to myself, this can't be too bad. It doesn't seem as bad as I previously thought. But if I've learned anything over the last two years it's that if it looks easy, it's probably going to hurt a lot. And I was correct. I used to run track in high school with my specialty in the 200 meter, 4x400 relay, 4x200 relay, and high jump. So I was thinking, I've sprinted 400s before, no problem I shouldn't even come close to the 1:50 cut-off line. I used to run them in 62 seconds, but of course that was when I was two years younger and about 20 lbs lighter. After the first two sets I was eating my words. My run times dropped closer to the 1:40 marker and each set became a lot harder. By the end I was thinking the old mantra I used to sing to myself while running last summer, "Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." I used to say this so much that it became all I could think about whenever I moved faster than a walk. It was annoying. But it helps. It helped me stay focused on the task at hand because I noticed that the moment I lost focus, I slowed down a lot.

So after completing the sprinting portion I took my cool down laps and settled into the crunches. I'm not talking the little wimpy crunches that everyone did during gym class in middle school with my hands interlocked behind my head, I'm talking about actual crunches. Arms across my chest, hands on biceps, feet on the deck, arms pressed against my stomach. Those crunches. Military style. They sucked, I was out of breathe and I was tired but I did my 75. I also did 3 dead hang pull-ups.

Post workout it is extremely important that you consume protein and water (or gatorade/powerade) as soon as possible after the workout in order to keep your muscles of degrading themselves. So for dinner I had a pita wrap with bacon, eggs, potatoes (starch, I know), and cheddar cheese (more carbs than I need but also some protein).

tempest 04-30-2013 04:10 PM

30Apr2013

2 mile jog @ 10 minute mile
5x10 Pushups with 30 second rest between repetitions
5x10 Lat-pull downs with 30 second rest between repetitions
4x30 crunches

Total distance traveled = 2 miles
Total crunches = 120
Total push-ups = 50

Tuesdays are going to be the easy days. Every run that is going to be done on these days will be very slow. These days are meant to get myself used to the feeling of running slowly and how my body reacts to it. This way I can recognize when I'm running too slowly during distance runs.

Before starting the running portion of the workout I did 3 deadhang pull-ups on my own to test where I was. After that I found running a 10 minute mile to actually be difficult. I'm not used to running at that slow of a pace so it took a lot of self control to keep myself from picking the pace up while I was running. I finished up my 2 mile run in 19:09. A little faster than a 10 minute mile pace but it was still an effective workout. I substituted roughly 3 reps of the lat pull-downs with pull-ups because the lat pull-down machine was being used at the time. After the person vacated the machine I switched to the lat pull-down machine to finish out the last two repetitions. I did use a pull-up machine for the pull-up repetitions.

My follow up on the workout was a smoothie with whey protein. The smoothie contained blueberries, apple juice, strawberries, and bananas. A lot of natural sugar. But as long as this isn't done after every meal throughout the day it shouldn't be a major drawback.

tempest 05-02-2013 11:15 PM

02May2013

Thursday

Due to certain unavoidable events I missed yesterday's workout so I decided to do a double workout today since yesterdays workout was a distance workout and today's was a strength workout. Normally, depending on what workout was missed, it wouldn't be wise to do this, which is where the rest day comes into play.

So yesterday's workout was supposed to be a 3 mile run run at an 8:30 mile. I headed to the track today to do that. At the projected pace my total run time should have been 25:30. But with my lack of physical fitness and a 20 mph NW wind factor in an open field, my run time totaled 27:05. The first mile was run in 8:32. I lost track of the time after that all I know that is my mile times were really slow. I returned home and ate a baked ham sandwich and drank a lot of water.

A few hours after dinner I completed today's workout.

150 Jump Rope Warm-up
3x15 Lunges (both legs) with 12 lb weight
3x20 Front Squats with 12 lb weight
4x25 Full Sit-ups

I had to substitute the 12 lb weight with a 14 lb one because I did not own a 12 lb weight. It was not an overly difficult workout. I may be feeling it tomorrow or I may not, I'm very used to all three of those exercises, even weighted ones.

tempest 05-04-2013 10:35 PM

03May2013

Sorry that it's a day late.

3 mile run @ 9 minute mile

I started this workout and ran a mile at 8:05 but due to severe nausea that appeared before the workout and got worse during the workout, I will be completing this workout on Sunday, my scheduled Rest Day.

tempest 05-04-2013 10:35 PM

04May2013

May the fourth be with you!

Today's workout was a 3 mile hike @ 40 lbs in boots.

Total distance traveled = 3.4 miles

I drove myself out to the State Park to give myself a heavy dose of terrain for this in order to make up for the weight. My terrain of choice? Sand. While the ground was flat, the sand did not make the trip easy, even at my own personal pace. I ended up doing roughly 3.4 miles instead of just 3 because the goal for most people taking the trail was the lighthouse that was 1.8 miles away, between the place I started and the lighthouse there was only one place that told you how far you traveled and that place was roughly 0.8 miles into the trip, leaving me to guess the distance I traveled towards the lighthouse, I stopped about 0.1 miles away from the lighthouse and headed back. I'll be taking more strenuous trails later on, as the distances increase along with the weight I carry. Eventually I hope to tackle the tormentor known as the Lighthouse Trail, a trail that starts out by heading through over 2 miles of deep woods, following the terrain on a defined path and then quickly changing to over 1.5 miles of nothing but sand dunes. Nothing but miles of fun.

My goal, along with endurance carrying a weight over distance is to break my boots in. I recently acquired new boots that actually fit properly now and I need to break them in before this year's summer training.

My post workout meal consisted of water, a large steak, cauliflower, carrots, a boiled egg, and garlic bread.

tempest 05-05-2013 07:45 PM

05May2013

Sunday

Today was my scheduled rest day which is a day to either rest or make up a workout if one needed to be made up. Since I only completed part of Friday's workout I used today to make it up.

Friday's workout:

3 mile run @ 9 minute mile

Total distance traveled = 2 miles

I completed one mile of it at an 8:05 mile on Friday. Today I finished the last two miles at 8:44 for the first mile and 8:50 for the second mile. Two BLT's were my post-workout meal.

HorseCrazyTeen 05-05-2013 08:34 PM

Gosh, you are making me feel motivated! We have a treadmill. I need to use it. I'll try to start later today! Will do the crunches, too.

tempest 05-05-2013 08:51 PM

That was my goal, HorseCrazy.

When using a treadmill, if you can, set the tread on it at a slight, but noticeable incline. Otherwise they aren't that great for a workout.

tempest 05-05-2013 09:05 PM

I'll clarify, I may have said that incorrectly.

With treadmills, because you aren't moving under your own power it's best to have a little incline to substitute for the lack of self-power. They are really good for helping get back in shape though, especially if running or walking outside isn't an option.