The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Quitting Smoking and the "E-Cigarette" ... Thoughts? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/quitting-smoking-e-cigarette-thoughts-184762/)

wausuaw 04-29-2013 10:33 PM

Quitting Smoking and the "E-Cigarette" ... Thoughts?

So, I've been a smoker for about 15 years (started waaaay early) Quit a few times, for a year plus each time, each time- fail. Never tried gimmicks, just would quit. Problem is, I never really wanted to quit. Aside from obvious health issues and secondary issues (I don't like the smell, etc) I never had this disdain for the act of smoking.

When I would quit- would always be due to some outside influence. The last time I quit, I got laid off and had to go on workman's comp. I couldn't find a job for 2 years, and I got this thing where I think assistance is only for things that really matter- beer, cigarettes, cable, etc and all the rest are not things that matter... I wasn't going to let someone else support my habits. I got a job, and walla, back to smoking.

So now, I want to quit (multitude of reasons). BUT... now that I actually want to and there isn't some moral quandary or situation forcing me to, it kinda terrifies me (to those who have never been addicted to something, yes- stopping is rather nerve wrecking). SO, I was thinking of jumping the "band wagon" and trying out this whole Electronic Cigarette thing.

I've tried a couple, aren't bad- but not as a regular use kinda thing. I can see the plus side- 1) you get your "fix" 2) it's physically similar to smoking (aside from lighting) so the habit itself seems fairly easy to adjust to 3)It's ALOT cheaper.

I've looked up studies, etc- I understand that it hasn't actually been proven to be healthier per say, and I'm not one of those ... err, not polite words ... that would sit there in a restaurant with my "e-smoke" just to annoy other people.

Have any of you tried them? Thoughts? Brand recommendations (seems as though quality varies drastically)? Other thoughts? Upsides? Downsides?

Saddlebag 04-29-2013 11:13 PM

Have you tried the patch or the smoking cessation drug. Apparently with the drug one is supposed to lose interest in smoking but you also have to want to quit as it's not a miracle. The patch administers nicotine thro the skin instead of the lungs. Quitting is tough but each time you stop, even for a week, think of those as successes and not as failures. And you didn't smoke x many cigarettes during that week. In Canada smokers have become pariahs amongst the general populace. Strict laws forbid smoking in public places ie bars, restaurants, malls, etc, and no smoking within 30' of a doorway. A new one was on the books altho I don't know if it's passed third reading - no smoking in you vehicle if children are present.

Missy May 04-29-2013 11:22 PM

I tried the e-cig several years ago - and from the first time I tried one, I never smoked again. I originally believed it was "the" silver bullet, so I rushed around to get family and friends that smoked to try it - and even bought some a kit. I was pretty disappointed when it didn't work for them all - but it did work for one. From that, I think it depends on, like you said, how badly one wants to quit. I was never a heavy smoker, but addicted just the same..so I don't even think "how much" one smokes predicts how well it will work. From the looks of it, the ecigs have greatly improved - so maybe even better odds of it working. I hope it works for you.

Poseidon 04-29-2013 11:30 PM

My bf has been using an E-cig to help quit. I haven't asked him about it lately, but right after he got it, he said it made a big difference in how much he smoked. He decided to try it after deciding against Chantix, which causes all sorts of really bizarre side effects.

Phly 04-29-2013 11:31 PM

I need to stop smoking, but don't want to. Like the OP, I have quit. But just don't WANT to. Which causes me to still smoke.
A big problem for me is I smoke when I drive. I get bored, so I smoke. Doesn't really sound like an issue unless ya drive as much as I do! 25 miles to the shop, drive All day, drive home. Yeah, I drive a lot.
My wife has recently started trying FUMA (sp?) electric cigarette. She likes it and has cut way down. I on the other hand just can't sedate myself with them. While they do seem to cover the urge momentarily, the actual feel and such just aren't there satisfying my need.
I've tried beef jerky, pork rinds etc.. To busy myself. To just slide back to smoking. I guess that I really just haven't made myself not want to.
Good luck, it's a tough row to hoe.
Posted via Mobile Device

wausuaw 04-29-2013 11:33 PM

I've tried patches, gum, etc before- never made any difference. Tried a couple different drugs- didn't particularly do anything either (the most common.. the name escapes me now, I had to stop because side effects were causing problems in day to day life). The longest parts were just cold turkey, and at times I would continue on with it for awhile, then bam.

As a general rule, even without alot of strict laws, I don't generally smoke publicly- as I'm fully aware of how others may be effected. In fact, unless people know me well, most don't even know!

I was just figuring I'd try something else and see how that works, but I just don't know anyone who has really tried them.

wausuaw 04-29-2013 11:52 PM

... chantix, that was the one I couldn't do. I had some major issues with insomnia and night terrors- I tried that and I was right back into zombieland. Had to stop....

Phly- yea, I have that issue. I'm a real busy body, constantly have to be doing something. Driving is the worse, I've actually panicked from not having smokes with me I thought were there (then went thru this whole "Are you SERIOUSLY that pathetic??" moment)

I've just been having a multitude of health issues for the last few months, and really think that smoking is making them worse than they need to be, and they've escaped diagnosis. I'm a very, very active person and drives me crazy not to be able to do things like I normally do.

Plus, it's more of a chore (smoking is). One of those necessary evils, so to speak. I don't like being trapped to this thing.

BUT, on the flip side, it's also a reward. When I complete something- I can sit down, have a smoke and relax a few minutes before tackling the next thing. I always remember this feeling- previously when I've quit- when it comes to having a little reward, or a break- it was a breif moment of .. ok... What am I supposed to do now? Practice my thumb twidleing skills?

deserthorsewoman 04-30-2013 12:48 AM

I am vaping right now:-)
I went completely to e cigarette after a short transition period using both, maybe 10 days, after smoking 1 1/2-2 packs. Took a bit of trying to find flavors I like, and I'm sure I can upgrade one way or another lol.
I have the liquid, refill my cartridges and am almost completely off tobacco flavors. I love mint tea and coffee, chocolate mixed with mint or cherry. The rather mild tobacco flavor I use, is reserved foto stressful moments. Other than that it's really for the taste.
Im also down to medium nicotine, trying to go to zero nicotine asap.
My house smells fresh now, and hubby, non-smoker his entire life, is more than happy

franknbeans 04-30-2013 06:33 AM

I have used them, and thought they helped, but as you said-you have to WANT to stop. I finally just stopped. Cold turkey, about 2 years ago. DH has recently quit. He is one who has tried patched, Chantix (and smoked on it!!) EVERYTHING. But, he worked in an environment where is is a small group and they actually all smoked.....had meetings outside smoking, in fact. But-he finally just did it. I think it was me mentioning that it decreased his vitamin D levels, and he needs that for his MS, and takes supplements. Now the whole family has quit-even the oldest son is finally doing the E-cigs and like them-they seem to be working for him. He has the refillables also.

It is very difficult for one spouse to quit without the other, and you have to understand the crabbiness involved also.

I have threatened to go back to it since I gained a size, but started going to the gym with the $$ I saved. Much better option.

Iseul 04-30-2013 08:55 AM

I quit..and then started again. Said I was going to quit about 10 more times..didn't even go a whole day without one.

I mainly smoke because of the habit..I fully believe that I'm not addicted to nicotine, smoking is just a habit for me.

I need to kill some time, I smoke.
I'm driving, I smoke.
I'm on a trail taking a break for my huffing horse, I smoke.
I'm at a show waiting for my turn, I smoke.

I have nothing better to do half the time. My mum glares at me and threatens to throw my cigarettes out, etc..But I'll quit when I'm ready. If I don't WANT to quit, I'm gonna start smoking again.
Posted via Mobile Device