The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Blanket and clipping question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/blanket-clipping-question-18495/)

appylover31803 11-28-2008 09:53 PM

Blanket and clipping question

Saw the ponies today. Gem and Vega have a rather thick winter coat, Montana does not. He seemed warm, but today it was in the high 40s. I'm thinking he won't be all the warm when it really starts to get cold.
So I ordered a heavy weight blanket (it said unclipped horses down to 10-0 degrees F and Clipped horses down to 20 F.) I thought it was the best without spending an arm and a leg (money is tight right now). I do have an underlay I can put on him too if need be.

I do plan on working him this winter, but am concerned of him over heating because of his coat. Would it be OK to clip him? Not a full body clip, but like a trace clip or something? I would be doing this once I got his blanket of course.

Now, I only ordered a heavy weight. I'm guessing when it starts to warm up, or if there's a warm spell, i'd have to remove his heavyweight and put on a medium weight, correct?
What would happen, if there was a warm day, and I just took his blanket off? Would that cause a huge problem?

ohmyitschelle 11-29-2008 01:44 AM

I'm not sure if I should comment due to living in another country, but this is my experience with rugging etc (my horses live outside 24/7 and have several rugs for all seasons)... Over winter I have a heavy weight and an underug for my horses... no medium weights or light i guess... I do have what we call an inbetween rug for Spring and Autumn... which I use coming out of winter with just the underug (my horses are double rugged over the colder winter months).
Anyway, my best mate clips... and is a firm believer (like myself) that if the sun is out, then the rugs can come off and let air at their backs... and then they go back on at night. Some of her horses can have full clips, and some only trace clips. It's more than fine to just whip the rug off of a clipped horse, espeically only one thats partially clipped for the day, as long as it's not freezing!! However I would put it back on at night, despite if its still warm out :)
Good luck!
x

appylover31803 11-29-2008 10:45 AM

Thank you for your reply!
Last year when I blanketed Vega, I had her double rugged over the winter as well, but that was with her stable blanket and I don't believe it was a heavy weight, and she wasn't clipped or anything.

I might get a different underlayer for him (the blanket I was going to use is just a sheet, not sure if that's good) Would one of those sleazy underlayers be good?

If it is warm out, where I would feel comfortable without my winter jacket, I'll take Montana's blanket off.

I think I might do a trace clip on him. Going to look at a bunch of clips to see.

thanks so much again!

My2Geldings 11-29-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803 (Post 200301)
Saw the ponies today. Gem and Vega have a rather thick winter coat, Montana does not. He seemed warm, but today it was in the high 40s. I'm thinking he won't be all the warm when it really starts to get cold.
So I ordered a heavy weight blanket (it said unclipped horses down to 10-0 degrees F and Clipped horses down to 20 F.) I thought it was the best without spending an arm and a leg (money is tight right now). I do have an underlay I can put on him too if need be.

I do plan on working him this winter, but am concerned of him over heating because of his coat. Would it be OK to clip him? Not a full body clip, but like a trace clip or something? I would be doing this once I got his blanket of course.

Now, I only ordered a heavy weight. I'm guessing when it starts to warm up, or if there's a warm spell, i'd have to remove his heavyweight and put on a medium weight, correct?
What would happen, if there was a warm day, and I just took his blanket off? Would that cause a huge problem?

Clipping would be an excellent thing to do. I always clip my horses during the winter. Will make it easier on you and your horse during and after riding and probably will help once he goes outside as well if it is a really thick blanket. There are loads of different kinds of clipping styles you can pick from, it just depends how much hair you want to take off.

ohmyitschelle 11-29-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803 (Post 200557)
Thank you for your reply!
Last year when I blanketed Vega, I had her double rugged over the winter as well, but that was with her stable blanket and I don't believe it was a heavy weight, and she wasn't clipped or anything.

I might get a different underlayer for him (the blanket I was going to use is just a sheet, not sure if that's good) Would one of those sleazy underlayers be good?

If it is warm out, where I would feel comfortable without my winter jacket, I'll take Montana's blanket off.

I think I might do a trace clip on him. Going to look at a bunch of clips to see.

thanks so much again!

You're very welcome! Well I'm a bit bad with rugging my horses, they have what would probably be a stable rug and the heavy weight over the deeper part of winter, but thats cos they're show horses, and pampered too much!! I think a polar fleece rug or sheet will be fine with the heavy weighted rug! I like trace clips, I'll be doing both Honey and Evo in them next winter (for now I've gotta deal with sandflies and boiling hot weather!).
x

appylover31803 11-29-2008 06:03 PM

I'm looking into getting one of those sleazy wear underlayers for under his blanket. But i'm going to get it if he needs it. I would rather not buy something if I dont need it yet.

As soon as I get his blanket, I'm going to clip him. I've never clipped a horse before (besides bridle path, whiskers and fetlocks) so this should be interesting. Atleast I'm not showing so if he looks awkward, it won't matter.

ohmyitschelle 11-29-2008 11:45 PM

I've yet to clip myself, but I've been told that it's not as hard as it looks... and the main thing is - if you botch it up, it's only a few weeks till the hair comes back to length :)
x

emmasacha 11-30-2008 09:13 AM

Hi,
My mare has a chase clip in the winter, I did it about a month or so ago. At the minute its really cold in England so she has a 400gm heavyweight rug on which has a full neck. She stays out 24/7 and this keeps her nice and snug. In spring when it starts to warm up I will progressively change her int lighter rugs. She will go into a middle weight, then one which is very lightweight and fianlly when the sun starts to come out she will be wearing one which is just water proof - no filling. When I first start taking her rugs off I leave her all day but then just put hr no filling one on at night until the evenings warm up.
Hope this helps, it sounds really complicated now I read it back but its very simple. Basically go by what clothes you are wearing if you need a warm coat so does your horse.

appylover31803 11-30-2008 01:38 PM

ok, thanks so much!

unfortunately, its quite cold today and this week is supposed to be cold as well and I dont have his blanket.. though I did order it on Friday night, so I know it wont be here until this week or the week after. I just hope he stays warm until then.

FGRanch 11-30-2008 03:26 PM

Dee has a very thin coat (I have pictures of her in the horse section) and she is not blanketed at all and keeps very warm. It gets down to -30 C here somtimes.