The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Rottweiler or mastiffs anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/rottweiler-mastiffs-anyone-18519/)

Johnswife 11-29-2008 10:47 AM

Rottweiler or mastiffs anyone?

I currently have 2 rottweilers. One has bone cancer and we'll lose him soon. I've had quite a few rotts in the last 11 years though, and did rott rescue in FL before I moved to TN.

I also had an english mastiff years ago that I adored.

They are my two favorite breeds. And because I like to torture myself :? I frequent the rescue pages on the rottweiler sites.

While browsing through them today, I came upon this guy and fell in love. It's taking all I have in me to not drive to NY right this second and adopt him.

Adopt! Search RottNet Net Member Rescues-RottNet.Net

I love him!!! He's the best of both worlds!

So, anyone else have either breed?? Show them off!

Small_Town_Girl 11-29-2008 10:55 AM

Aww, I love Rotts! Great Big Lovable Dogs, I used to have one when
I was young, he died of heartworms and we never knew he had them.
His name was "Harley." :)

I wouldn't mind having another one someday either. ;)

Moxie 11-29-2008 06:53 PM

You probably wont like what I'm about to say, but Rotts are NOT my fav. breed. My husband had one before he and I got together, she bit me, and took after my son, the fact that she was on a chain was my son's saving grace. She passed away this spring. They are beautiful dogs, and I believe if she would have been introduced to us as a pup, things might have been different, however she has jaded my view of the breed all together.

Mastiffs on the other hand are GREAT dogs.. Love em. They're so huge and loveable.. awww..

Good for you for rescuing these unwanted pups. It takes a special type of person, in which our world needs more of.

CheyAut 11-30-2008 01:41 AM

Rotties are my best friend's favorite breed. I love them, too. She has a very large neutered male named Diesel. She's started carting and herding with him, and he's doing well :) He's young and so can be hyper at times, but he is VERY well behaved, and her two young kids can do anything they want to him (including giving him commands that he obeys) and he's good with their other dog (a pit bull/boxer), cats, and rabbits :) He's a very sweet boy :)

Johnswife 12-03-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moxie (Post 200880)
You probably wont like what I'm about to say, but Rotts are NOT my fav. breed. My husband had one before he and I got together, she bit me, and took after my son, the fact that she was on a chain was my son's saving grace. She passed away this spring. They are beautiful dogs, and I believe if she would have been introduced to us as a pup, things might have been different, however she has jaded my view of the breed all together.

I understand your fear of them. But as with all breeds, it has to do with how they are raised, and nothing at all to do with the specific breed. They certainly aren't first time pets for anyone, I agree. They are incredibly intelligent and require training from puppyhood to adult. The females tend to be more aggressive than the males, especially to other female dogs. But with someone who is capable of, and willing to devote the time to proper training, they are wonderful.

My husband worked in Camden, NJ during the 80s when the city was ranked every year as the most dangerous in the country. Drug dealers brought home rotts and intentionally made them as mean as possible. So, hubby's view of them was very jaded. When I lost my mastiff and wanted a rottie, he was very skeptical. It took some convincing on my part and a trip 3 hours north of us to visit the one I wanted to adopt to convince him. But when he met Baron it was love at first site.

Bear was 120 pounds of all rottie love. That dog didn't have a mean bone any place in his body. He was raised properly and it showed. We lost him when he was 8 years old. He had inoperable hip dysplasia for over a year, muscle atrophy and arthritis. Even in the pain he was in, he was the sweetest, most gentle loving dog I've ever met. We woke up one morning to find him not able to get up on his own. He had bad days like that. My son and I tried to help him up but when he tried to put weight on his feet we actually felt the hip pop and dislocate in both his legs. :cry: At that point, there really was no option but to let him go. That was one of the most sad days of my life.

But in his lifetime, he changed the opinion of several people about rotties. We've got a photo of the chimney guy who came to our house terrified of the breed, laying on our fireplace with three huge rottie heads shoved up the chimney beside him, trying to 'help'. :lol: I do wish you could meet the female and male I have now. Just like Baron, so sweet. I think you'd see that it is the way they're raised, not the breed.

RusticWildFire 12-03-2008 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a rottweiler-black lab mix and she was the BEST dog I have ever even come across. She was also the smartest. I'm not saying this because she was mine but it's the honest truth. I loved her!! We had to have her put down a year ago on Nov. 30 due to cancer but yeah. I want another when I am able to have a dog again.
I believe that how a dog acts is directly related to its handling and history.
Here is a pic of her.

Painted Ride 12-04-2008 04:01 PM

omg i love both breeds....sadly enough we just lost out 13.5 year lold apricot brendal bull mastiff. his name was brownin...aka mr. brown...aka peanut. i loved this dog with all my heart. so loveable, always there to give me a hug....he was so loved ans still is! i will try to post pics. that was the saddest day when he passed away in my arms....:cry:

.A.j. 12-05-2008 06:41 AM

I love Tyson, what a pretty big boy!
Good luck if you go through with it. Nice to see someone who really cares.

RegalCharm 12-05-2008 02:01 PM

JW. I don't blame you he looks adorable.

I have been thinking lately about mastiffs and maybe would like one.
my little bassett loves to play with my neighbors Great Dane when he
gets loose and she is outside. They know where to come look for him. LOL...

Gingerrrrr 12-05-2008 07:11 PM

my uncles rottie is kinda mean. or he was the last time i saw him.