The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Update on my Diamond (to thin) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/update-my-diamond-thin-185250/)

teresa60 04-30-2013 07:31 PM

Update on my Diamond (to thin)

Wow I am just now getting all the information about Diamond.the stables that he is at just told me they have only had him a yr. and does not know alot about his pass with vet care. I know sounds fishy. This all came out after asking the girl that takes care of the horses the questions all of u ask me .
OK i do not have a lot of money but I will do everything to help my Diamond.
1st. can I just worm him with out a fecal ? If so what do i buy?

poppy1356 04-30-2013 10:26 PM

Well I would guess that he probably is quite wormy and will need a strong dose but then you can run the risk of impaction colic from too many worms dying at once. He really, really needs a vet exam before you can do anything more. I would also move him. They started with lies and it's bound to continue.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oldhorselady 04-30-2013 10:35 PM

I would definately move him too. They know you are on to them and sound like they prefer to have left you in the dark about everything being a new horse owner and not knowing better.

teresa60 05-01-2013 08:42 AM

I plan on seeing him very day and will get him a vet appoinment. I don't think she is hiding or lieing about anything I just never ask her these question before.

poppy1356 05-01-2013 08:49 AM

Well the original story was he was there for 3 years now its less than a year. Either way they owned him and he is sickly.

You need to remove your emotions from it and think strickly from the point of view of what is best for the horse. They are not cheap. I had to pick up two part time jobs on top of my regular 40 hr a week day job to pay for the increased costs my horse had from being a rescue and needing to get healthy. Vet bills will cost money and potentially lots of it. To get my horse fattened up and healthy, and she was by no means this bad, it was costing me an extra $300 a month on top of my board bill.

This horse needs to see a vet and be removed from the current property and to a place that will actually care for him. Yes he is yours but when I board a horse I expect the boarding facility to properly feed my horse and to let me know if there is any problems with their eating habits immediately.

teresa60 05-01-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 2398722)
Well the original story was he was there for 3 years now its less than a year. Either way they owned him and he is sickly.

You need to remove your emotions from it and think strickly from the point of view of what is best for the horse. They are not cheap. I had to pick up two part time jobs on top of my regular 40 hr a week day job to pay for the increased costs my horse had from being a rescue and needing to get healthy. Vet bills will cost money and potentially lots of it. To get my horse fattened up and healthy, and she was by no means this bad, it was costing me an extra $300 a month on top of my board bill.

This horse needs to see a vet and be removed from the current property and to a place that will actually care for him. Yes he is yours but when I board a horse I expect the boarding facility to properly feed my horse and to let me know if there is any problems with their eating habits immediately.

All of you are right I will check into another boarding place.Thx