The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Fly Horse Sheet?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/fly-horse-sheet-18546/)

Reese2007 11-29-2008 10:24 PM

Fly Horse Sheet??

During the summer the flies and the mosquitoes are really really bad by my house. We go through sooo much fly spray because of all the bugs. I was looking in some magazine and some tack stores online and found fly horse sheets. I was thinking about buying some for my horses, but I wasn't sure if they actually worked good or not.

I was kind of against getting them because I live in a wooded area, and most of my pastures are trees. My horses can be kind of rough on their things, so they could rip the sheets easily. Should I give it a shot anyways?? Does anyone have one and like it/not like it?? Any brands better than others??

JustDressageIt 11-30-2008 01:01 AM

If you're looking for a tough blanket, go for one that has Textilene fabric, it's like the stuff you find in lawn chairs; it sits above the horse's body becuase it is stiff, and keeps the flies and mosquitos off that way. I do recommend them.

Reese2007 11-30-2008 10:38 AM

Great, thanks

My2Geldings 11-30-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 201043)
If you're looking for a tough blanket, go for one that has Textilene fabric, it's like the stuff you find in lawn chairs; it sits above the horse's body becuase it is stiff, and keeps the flies and mosquitos off that way. I do recommend them.

Once again amen to that advice. When I first owned a horse, I worked mucking stalls at a barn. One of my jobs was to blanket and turn out so I've seen pretty much evert brand name under the rainbow and as far as fly sheets go, those ones are BY FAR the best I have ever seen. I wouldn't deviate from them at all, not unless you have the money to replace your fly sheet regularly due to tears from horses playing.