The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Different Warmblood horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/different-warmblood-horses-185554/)

Jalter 05-01-2013 02:16 AM

Different Warmblood horses

What are all the common types of Warmbloods? I cannot really see a difference between most of them. Which ones seem to be the more successful Dressage breed? What about the more successful Hunters or Jumpers? Can someone provide pictures of each popular Warmblood breed so I can try to see the difference?

toto 05-01-2013 04:28 AM

A warmblood is a horse that is mixed with a hot blooded horse(TB, arabian) and a cold blooded horse(most draft horses)

Jalter 05-01-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 2397858)
A warmblood is a horse that is mixed with a hot blooded horse(TB, arabian) and a cold blooded horse(most draft horses)

Thank you, but I understand that much. I mean I cannot tell the difference between a Dutch Warmblood and an Iberian Warmblood, and stuff like that. They all look the same to me; Thoroughbreds with thicker leg bones, haha.

toto 05-01-2013 04:46 AM

Lol, they look the same to me too! :-P

I know a lady who had ones that she did 6+foot show jumping on that were 17.3-18.2.. skywalkers!! :rofl: *random information*

HowClever 05-01-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 2397858)

While this may be how "warmbloods" originated this statement is incorrect today. Warmbloods now are very much breeds and types. You can not simply cross a draft over a thoroughbred and call it a warmblood. That is a draft cross.

Warmbloods include breeds like Hanoverian, Holsteiner, Oldenburg, Trakehner, Dutch Warmblood, Swedish Warmblood, etc and have undergone a lot of careful and selective breeding to make them what they are today. They are subject to inspections and approvals to ensure that they meet the standards of their particular registry.

Telling them apart is not something I am good at so will leave that for someone else to answer, but just wanted to clarify that there is a lot more to a Warmblood than cold + hot.

its lbs not miles 05-01-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalter (Post 2397362)
What are all the common types of Warmbloods?

There are so many warmblood breeds of horse the list would be pretty long (and still end up missing some). From the very old warmblood breeds (Lipizzaner, Friesian, Andalusian, etc.....), the very common breeds (QH, TWH, etc.....) to the newer breeds developed in more recent history (e.g. Dutch Warmblood, American Warmblood, etc....).
There are probably more "warm blood" horse breeds than hot or cold breeds.
Their skills, abilities and apperances are not all held in common. Some tend to be good eventers, some good working horses, some better at show, some sleeker, some stockier, some tall, some short.

rookie 05-01-2013 10:47 AM

I have in recent years heard Standardbreds referred to as "american warmbloods". They can make great jumpers but as others have said its breed lineage. I think an element is popularity. People started calling Standardbreds American Warmbloods in part of feed off the desire for everyone and an uncle to have a "warmblood". Its technically true that they are historic combination of draft and light horses; however, they also have other extinct breeds in them like the narragansett pacer and others. I just never think of them as a warmblood but just Standardbreds.

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 05-04-2013 02:55 AM

I really hate the term "American Warmblood" and I have a really hard time accepting them as a true breed. IMHO, it's seems like a bunch of draft crosses, grade horses &/or a few good european warmbloods crossed with whatever was laying around on the farm and given "papers". Its like calling a mutt a "designer breed".

The most common Warmblood breeds are the European breeds:
There's a big cluster of Dutch and German breeds; Oldenburgs (ISR), Hanovarians, Holstiners, Trakehners, KWPN, Dutch Warmbloods.

And then there are more Westen European Warmbloods: the French Selle Francias, Swedish Warmbloodand the Irish Sport Horse, as well as the Spanish Baroque breeds, the P.R.E., Lusitano, Fresians and Andalusians.

These are horses that have been specifically need for hundreds of years for the purpose of warfare, which evolved in to the sport of eventing and continue to be bred specifically for the three sports of eventing or any of it's individual disciplines.

The thing about Warmbloods is that the reason they look similar is because Warmbloods are a type if horse rather than a breed; think of the like pony or draft. If you take a look at the breeds you can see there named for the area they're derived from, take the German horses, they're are named for the city or regions they're derived from, Hanover, Oldenburg and Holstein. While they're WERE originally created by breeding if horses in those regions to get a "type", that selective breeding was done in the 13th -15th centuries. The foundation breeding of European Warmblood breeds, to develop a singular type and breed was done 500-800 years ago, where as this is only BARELY starting to occur for American Warmbloods. American Warmbloods have barely picked a name; as it is there are two registries (American Warmblood Society and American Warmblood Registry) with very different ideas about what an American Warmblood is.

To complicate what a warmblood is and how the breeds are different, Traditional European Warmbloods registries usually have open stud books and the horses are registered and inspected.

With QHs you breed two AQHA horses and you have a registered QH. Right?

My Swedish Warmblood mare is actually 1/2 SWB by her sire Juvel, but her Dam is registered Hanovarian. I bred my SWB mare with a foundation Irish Draught, for an Irish Draught Sport Horse.

Traditionally the foal is registered with the Sire breed registery, but you can choose either, especially b/c Mares are consider half of the equation and are just as or in some cases more important than the stallion, so registering with the dams registry (if its different), is an option.

So you usually get a provisional or lower class basic registration with a foal, but in order to get a full registration, or be entered in to the stud book you have to be inspected at an official inspection, and be given a high enough rating and classification. Mares and geldings too. In some breed registries if you breed your mare that hasn't been inspected and approved for breeding, you cannot get any provisional papers and you cannot register with them.

As if this wasn't enough, some Warmblood registries will accept outside recognized Warmbloods and accept them for inspection and give them an registration for that other registry, even though neither parent is that breed.

Again my SWB mare, by SWB sire out of a Hanovarian dam, has also been inspected and is registered in ISR/Oldenburg Main Mare Book.

There are fads with breeding, it's cyclical, breeders want more of the sleeker TB look, so for a couple of generations they selectively breed the thinner lankier horses mixing in some foundation TB blood. But then a couple of decades go by and powerhouse muscle is the new vouge, so breeders seek breed the sturdier built horses, adding in an approved foundation Irish Draught or baroque to build stature.

Contrary to popular belief, having an open stud book is more difficult than having a closed stud book.

With a closed stud book no one looks at the horse, you have the history of paperwork says what breed it is. (Jockey Club sire to Jockey club dam, and a live cover cert, it's a TB.)

But to be a Warmblood, you still have to have the paperwork, and while there's more outside influence accepted, the registry will tell you if qualify to be their breed, and at what QUALITY you are.
Posted via Mobile Device

its lbs not miles 05-04-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGirlsRideWarmbloods (Post 2424546)
I really hate the term "American Warmblood" and I have a really hard time accepting them as a true breed. Posted via Mobile Device

"American Warmblood" isn't an actual "breed", but then neither are some of the European "Warmblood". They are "breeds" or crosses that are accepted by the registreing associations. Most actual warmblood "breeds" don't have Warmblood in there name (Europe: Oldenburg, Hanoverian, Holsteiner, etc.... America: ASB, STB, TWH, etc....). It's more of a registry than an actual "breed". Indeed there are so many actual breeds that can be registered as "American Warmblood" that I often wonder why they even bothered to create the association other than it gives people the ability to register warmblood crosses as something.
A bit like the "Sport Horse" "breeds".

Not that there's anything wrong with it. I personally love cross breeding. How do people think all these breeds came into being and how they've been improved? No breed just "appeared" one day and remained "pure" for a thousand+ years.

ponyboy 05-04-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGirlsRideWarmbloods (Post 2424546)

And then there are more Westen European Warmbloods: the French Selle Francias, Swedish Warmbloodand the Irish Sport Horse, as well as the Spanish Baroque breeds, the P.R.E., Lusitano, Fresians and Andalusians.

The Selle Francias mostly originated from the French Trotter and the French Anglo Arab. The Andalusian descended from the Barb and most probably Sorraian ponies, the Lusitano is very closely related to the Andalusian, and the Friesian was more or less an Andalusian x draft cross. And the Irish Sport Horse is not a breed, it's a sport horse. If you meant the Irish Draught, it does have Thoroughbred blood but not draft blood, despite its name.

So, if a warmblood is supposed to be a breed that originated as hotblood x coldblood, then none of those breeds qualify. I have heard Andalusian breeders take offense at their horses being called warmbloods. (I know there are people selling "Iberian warmbloods" now but that's just a marketing gimmick. I guess people have forgotten that we already have a Thoroughbred x Andalusian breed... It's called the Quarter Horse!)