The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Canine hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/canine-hobbies-18557/)

CheyAut 11-30-2008 02:12 AM

Canine hobbies

We obviously all have equestrian hobbies, but what about our doggy friends?

I LOVE agility. Been doing it for 9 years, except that I took a few years off (live happens! And I lost some interest when my previous dog could no longer do it, and especially when he died...). Back in it now though, currently with one of my mini aussies (Rylie) and my Alaskan Malamute (Kairyl). And sorta another mini aussie (Buddjet, does it but not in classes, long story... he's shown a little in the past and I'll be showing him again soon as Rylie and/or Kairyl is ready).

I've done carting/driving wtih my previous dog. I really want to train my mal and my two newfy/leos (Denver and Philly) to it... just need some extra time in the day! LOL

And my new love that I sorta barely started: herding! I took Buddjet and Rylie to an instinct test when my friend had a lesson with her rotti. They, ESPECIALLY Rylie, LOVED it, as did I! My friend and I are hoping to take lessons at least once a month to start with (have to drive a bit to get to them, that's why so few to start). So the other day I brought Rylie out to the "horse side" of my property, and told him to get the goats... they're in a pen he can't get in, but he got into herding mode!!! Then I let my mini foals loose (always do in the mornings when I feed) and told him to get hte horses, he started herding them! So fun :) Now he just needs to learn commands so he can get them where I want them :) (the goats, I won't be using him on the horses lol) I also know my aussie pup, Roxi, will do great at that (and agility) once she's a little older... and she is one of those dogs who will need to do it lol!

So, anyone else do any dog sports or showing?

Joshie 11-30-2008 03:33 PM

It's not a hobby but my kids' dogs are service dogs.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00084.jpg

RegalCharm 11-30-2008 07:03 PM

Joshie have you seen where they are using the
mini horses for service animals now.

They are so cute, and from what I have heard
do quite well helping people.

Joshie 11-30-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegalCharm (Post 201561)
Joshie have you seen where they are using the
mini horses for service animals now.

I've seen that but, boy, I don't understand it. I think about those hooves on slippery store floors. :shock: How would you put a horse under a restaurant table.

RegalCharm 12-01-2008 02:36 AM

You teach them to sit in a chair

CheyAut 12-01-2008 04:28 AM

I have and love my mini horses, but if I needed a service animal, I would trust a dog and not a horse! JMO of course ;)

hotreddun 12-01-2008 01:45 PM

We were planning on teaching Delilah how to do agility... And then Dexter was in the processes of certification for a service dog. But Dexter was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and the up and down sit command needed was to much for him. And we were just lazy about training Delilah :? We kind of planned to pick back up after the holidays.

Joshie 12-01-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotreddun (Post 202098)
And then Dexter was in the processes of certification for a service dog. But Dexter was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and the up and down sit command needed was to much for him. .

Do you mean Dexter was in the process of getting certification as a therapy dog? In the US, there is currently no legal certification process required for service animals. One must be disabled to have a service dog and the dog must be specifically trained to perform a task that mitigates that disability. The disabled may take their service animals in almost all places. Therapy dogs can only go where the handler has permission.