The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What do you think of this horse to look at to buy ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-do-you-think-horse-look-185578/)

OliviaMyee 05-01-2013 04:53 AM

What do you think of this horse to look at to buy ?

3 Attachment(s)
Because the horse is 4 hours away. Really need some opinions.

. Price: 1,500$ (exactly my budget)
. Never had teeth done (but kept in a large paddock and can graze anytime)
Gelding
. Been wormed a couple of times
. Has had no vaccinations (kept like a farmers horse practically)
. SIRE: Smart to the Max
. MARE: Pocco Peppe
. Broken in at 2 years worked a little and completed the Tallangatta stockmans ride couple years back
. Is still quite green
. 14.2 hh -15.2 hh

He can:
. float
. be caught with food most of the time
. tie
. lead
. be good for having a trim most of the time
. good with cars

Riding ability:
. knows to stop,go,slow down, trot, walk canter, speed up.
. can walk calmly
. never reared
. knows basics
. Never bolted
. has done some pigroots
. only bucked bad when broken in
. recently (yesterday) been ridden and not bucked at all

Owner breaks in horses and trims his feet him self*-(that makes me weary)
. Horse has recently got a little cut about eye supposably not deep- will receive a picture before weekend.
. might receive a video of horse being ridden

franknbeans 05-01-2013 06:19 AM

What do you want him for? What is your experience level? Do you have a trainer to help you?

TBforever 05-01-2013 06:35 AM

[B. Be caught with food most of the time][/B]

does that mean he wont come unless food is there?

seems over priced to me,

Foxhunter 05-01-2013 06:36 AM

Lots of questions about it!

First he is not necessarily good to catch, with feet or being ridden (pig roots)

Unless you are a very experienced rider with green horses then I would say avoid. Seems quite pricey with the problems.

TBforever 05-01-2013 06:43 AM

id look else where and skip this horse

Tracer 05-01-2013 06:46 AM

How old? And a QH I resume.

The price is fairly reasonable for the current Australian market but he's gonna need a lot of work. What area are you in? There're a couple of decent QH's, ASH's and the like around at the moment for those sorts of prices.

Roadyy 05-01-2013 06:48 AM

<Next>

Saddlebag 05-01-2013 06:50 AM

She is registered and everything is up to date? Too many times we've heard excuses people have been told even after months of waiting. If she's not registered then she could be the off spring of any pairing. Without the reg. paper she is a $600 horse. Ask for a pic of both sides as there will be a comprehensive discription on the back.

TBforever 05-01-2013 06:57 AM

makes me wonder he breaks in his own horses but needs food to lure him , must of been how he was trained to come

has only bucked BAD when getting broken in? does that mean he still bucks? but not bad?

you could make a trip out there and ride him urself to make sure ur comfortable

Cat 05-01-2013 07:12 AM

I don't know your market - but how is the price for comparable horses of similar training level? For my area that would be horribly high for what he currently is. It could possibly be the price for what he may potentially be in the future, but not current value. But markets are different all over.

Personally I see a lot of red flags - especially for a 4 hour away trip. Self-trimming doesn't concern me as much as no vaccines an "wormed a couple of times" - is that a couple of times his whole life? Also the training, catchability, etc seem to leave a lot to be desired. I'd say go see him if he was close by, but with him being 4 hours away, surely you can find something closer that is just as good if not better?